Sketchup - again

Got a problem. Consider this...

  1. Make a cabinet case, make it a component, make it on a separate layer.

  1. Make a face frame, make it a component, make it on a separate layer.

  2. Make a door in the closed position, make it a component, make it on a separate layer.

  1. Make a door in the open position, make it a component, make it on a separate layer.

The case and face frame layers are always visible.

Now, one *should* be able to toggle the door layers on and off (of visibility) to show the cabinet interior with door open and to show the cabinet with the door closed. Can't.

With both door layers visible, both doors show as they should.

Turn off both layers, neither door shows which is as it should be.

Turn off the open layer and the closed door shows as it should.

Turn off the closed layer (open layer set to visible) and NEITHER door shows. However, there is one itsy bitsy line which info says belongs to the door open layer; clicking it expands the boundary lines for the open door layer but there is nothing in it.

Anyone have any idea what is going on and how to solve it? I'd ask in a Sketchup forum but I hate forums and am trying here first, all suggestions appreciated.

Reply to
dadiOH

First thing that I would suspect is that something in the open door component group is on the layer that is turned off. You can sometimes mix parts in a component or group into two different layers.

Delete the open door and the layer it is in and redraw it, don't copy it, and reassign a layer for it. If you copy it you will copy the mixed layers again if that is the problem. See if that fixes the problem. Not necessarily a solution but steps to isolate the problem

Your new open door can simply be a rectangle the same thickness for test purposes.

On another note, if you use your rotate tool and put the center of axis on the top hinge side of the door, you can open and close the door to any given degree. If you leave it open and want to close the door quickly, hit undo.

Reply to
Leon

Adding a bit more, you have your clue as to what is wrong.

Repeating what you wrote,

Turn off the closed layer (open layer set to visible) and NEITHER door > shows. However, there is one itsy bitsy line which info says belongs to the > door open layer; clicking it expands the boundary lines for the open door > layer but there is nothing in it

The itsy bitsy line is actually the only thing in the component that is on the correct layer. Because it is part of a component you see the boundary lines.

You probably need to explode the component, select everything and reassign the layer. If you have components inside the whole door component you will probably have to edit them separately too.

Reply to
Leon

Thanks Leon, I think you are probably right. The confusing thing is/was that checking the properties for the component says that it is on the layer where it should be. Leaving on a trip in a day or so,may check it while away, if not when I get back.

Reply to
dadiOH

As long as we are wishing, I wish it had sub-layers...

Cabinet Face frame rails stiles Door etc.

Reply to
dadiOH

A good practice with SketchUP is to always do your do your drawings on Layer 0.

In Sketchup (a 3D modeling program and not a CAD program, per se), Layers in SU, being a different paradigm than in most other CAD programs, and are not really designed to be used in that manner.

Not that it can't be done, but you are basically asking for trouble with underlying parts of your group and components being on different layers, causing them not to show as you would expect.

Try exploding your component, triple clicking it to select all the geometry, then assigning all the geometry in the group/component to the desired Layer.

Alternately, do the same, making sure all the parts of the group/component are assigned to Layer0, then highlight the component and assign it to the desired Layer.

Reply to
Swingman

+1

Exactly why, unless you thoroughly understand the way Layers work in SU, drawings should only be done on Layer0

Reply to
Swingman