New bench -- vise question

It's time for my new bench. I purchased a 10-inch Groz quick release for t he face vise and I am pondering my options for the tail vise. This will be a split top bench with front and back section at 12 inches each with a six

-inch tool tray in the middle. The bench will be 84 inches in length. The Groz will be at the front right (as I am mostly a southpaw). I will have two rows of left-to-right dog holes on 6-inch centers in each section.

If I had a spare $250, I'd go with the Lee Valley twin-screw tail vise. Sw eet it is. But I don't. So I'm considering building my own using one of t he following:

Single screw from Amazon:

rds=bench+screw

Front vise assembly on ebay:

Any thoughts, suggestions will be appreciated.

Larry

Reply to
Gramp's shop

face vise and I am pondering my options for the tail vise. This will be a split top bench with front and back section at 12 inches each with a six-inch tool tray in the middle. The bench will be 84 inches in length. The Groz will be at the front right (as I am mostly a southpaw). I will have two rows of left-to-right dog holes on 6-inch centers in each section.

it is. But I don't. So I'm considering building my own using one of the following:

You only live once.... From the Festool SawStop guy.. LOL

Go for the Cadillac brand and never look back or wish yo had done better.

Reply to
Leon

face vise and I am pondering my options for the tail vise. This will be a split top bench with front and back section at 12 inches each with a six-inch tool tray in the middle. The bench will be 84 inches in length. The Groz will be at the front right (as I am mostly a southpaw). I will have two rows of left-to-right dog holes on 6-inch centers in each section.

it is. But I don't. So I'm considering building my own using one of the following:

Jim Weisgram

face vise and I am pondering my options for the tail vise. This will be a split top bench with front and back section at 12 inches each with a six-inch tool tray in the middle. The bench will be 84 inches in length. The Groz will be at the front right (as I am mostly a southpaw). I will have two rows of left-to-right dog holes on 6-inch centers in each section.

it is. But I don't. So I'm considering building my own using one of the following:

Here's my opinion since you are asking for opinions.

The quick release vise is a better tail vise then a front vise!

I have 2 vises on my bench, both are not quick release one is a tail, the other a face. I am a lefty too.

I am thinking of replacing my tail vise (regular vise) with a quick release (from my other bench) since most of what I do is done using the tail vise. I find the tail the most useful vise. Now you do not need to use the dog that came with the vise. Take a look at

I don't use the vises built in dog, I mounted a veritas bench pup slightly off center to match my dog hole alignment. I also drilled the end to hold a door or something, but never drilled the holes into the face of the bench.

I'll see if I can take a better bench pic.

Just my opinion... you'll come to your own conclusions.

Reply to
woodchucker

I was on a limited budget when I built my vise, so I used threading tools to make a 1" dowel into a screw amd a threaded hole in the bench leg and mounted a pair of shortened french leg vises on each side of the bench end. Instead of the notched stick at the bottom I threaded a 1/2" dowel and put a spinner on it at the bottom of each vise. I've been using those for about 20 years now.

The vises are flush with the benchtop and have a hole in them for a dog.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard