Fangda tools and Leigh jig

Anyone have any experience with router bits from Fangda tools in China? There is a set of 16 bits on eBay for $56. Said to conform to requirements for Leigh jig (for which I also am shopping). I know, I know, we only get what we pay for ... but on rare occasions a bargain can be had.

Here's the eBay URL:

brings me to part II -- any recommendations with respect to the differences between the Super 24 and the D4?

Best regards,

Larry

Reply to
Gramp's shop

LOOKING AT THE PICTURES THERE APPEAR TO BE CHIPS AND PITS IN THE CARBIDE PARTICULARILLY ALONG THE EDGES.

I would pass, you really want a bit that is built to tight tolerances.

The Super Jigs in general have a milled in place registration stop to index your work against. The D4 has a multi piece set up that has to be set up and will always be prone to be knocked out of whack. Now with having said that I have owned a D4 for 13~14 years and have not had a problem with that multi piece indexing set up.

Unless you especially want the advantage of movable fingers for cutting pins and tails you might consider the R9 with fixed spacing for the pins and tails. Much less fuss and less expensive.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
Gramp's shop

Be wary of a screaming deal on a used D4 and or any Leigh adjustable finger jig. These things do wear out and the fingers tend to creep out of position. Swingman has some first hand knowledge of this and is now in possession of an Akeda DT jig.

DO NOT get a Leigh jig with out an owners manual. The manual is a shining example of how a manual should be written BUT good luck setting up the Leigh with out that manual.

Reply to
Leon

These look much better made than the no-name set I got for $25 at BiGLOTS. The shanks are clean and the paint has been carefully masked from the carbide and shank. It's only C-2, but that lasts pretty well.

use or rarely use, but you'll have them in a pinch. You'll be replacing the most-used bits as they wear, anyway. It has a nice box, too.

P.S: Why aren't you cuttin' dovies by hand?

-- In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. -- Albert Camus

Reply to
Larry Jaques