router bits in a shaper?

My BIL inherited a Craftsman shaper from his father (model 113.239390) and is trying to track down a replacement spindle that would allow the use of router bits...

Anyone know if this can even be done? If so, where would I start looking? I checked the sears site - it doesn't list such a part for his model.

Thanks for any help...I'm trying to score a few points with him so I can make use of the shaper ;)

Reply to
Chris Merrill

It can be done, but I don't know about availability for Craftsman. If the shaper is in good shape, if all else fails, you can do what Krenov did and have a machinist make a spindle to accomodate router bits

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I have one and like it. You can get nice cutters from Woodline.com fairly resaonably (carbide) and a few places still sell the HSS cutters really cheap. They are good for learning. The Woodlines are 3/4" with 1/2" bushings. You can use them on a bigger machine later. Griz has them also and may have some 1/2" too.

I'd build a simple router table before messing with the spindle. The shaper is too slow for the bits to work well anyway. BTW, those shapers sell at our club auction for $80-120.

Reply to
Wilson Lamb

I haven't used a shaper in many years so correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't a shaper turn in the opposite direction of a router?

I would think this would cause problems if you use a router bit.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Most that I have seen have a reversing switch.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn