Help with sharpening router / shaper bits...

I have been using MLCS shaper bits for making raised panels & doors for the last several years. They have performed fairly well considering the price.

However, my last project involved making about 24 raised panels from MDF. This left my raised panel bit in very dull condition. I have tried sharpening it by using a set of diamond sharpening tools (the cheap flat ones) using 400,

600 and 1200 grits. I probably spent well over two hours on this, but although it came out sharper than when it started, it is nowhere near the razor sharp condition I was used to. Of course, I didn't know exactly how to do it - just tried to follow the original angles.

Anyhow, has anyone tried to do this or is there a professional sharpening service that could do it or should I just figure that I got my money's worth & buy a new one? I think I paid around $75 for the bit.

By the way the coping set which I used only on oak & poplar has been holding up much better.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

This is one of those times that saying WHERE you are might be of help...most people have a favorite sharpening service that they use. And in just my opinion, it's usually not cost effective to have to ship bits out for sharpening. I live about 15 miles from a very good place and I can be there quick enough that I can afford to drop off one cutter without needing to figure out if it'll wait until I get a few more to ship with it to make it worthwhile.

Let us know...

Mike

Reply to
The Davenports

You say you tried to fallow the original angles. They may be beyond hope. Router and shaper bits are of a form called form relieved cutters. They are sharpened on the face only so they retain their shape. For sharpening, look in the phonebook for tool and cutter grinding. Anyplace that does cutters for machine shops can sharpen router or shaper bits.

Reply to
CW

Just follow the flats. No touch anything but the flats. Tom Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

Thanks for the help - wish I had asked before I went at the sharpening.

I guess I probably screwed the cutter up since I was working on both sides (flat & angles).

I was wondering if it would be cost-effective to have this bit sharpened and I am guessing that it probably will not. I am going to check in the phonebook as suggested and see if it's worth it - may be beyond repair anyway.

Thanks again!

Lou

(Newark, DE, USA)

Reply to
loutent

Lou,

No reason for not sending them out for professional sharpening. The fact that you tried sharpening both the flats and the angle has no real effect since the raised panel doesn't have a mating surface it must match (2nd bit profile). It will be less expensive than a new bit. Next time though - only touch up the flats....

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.