Bench progress

I thought I'd share my progress on my new bench. I have a stock of reclaim ed cherry 2x6s and today I did a rough cut to length for the 78x26 top and the trestles. This after a half-successful 35 mile trip to Woodcraft/Rockl er for 10mm dominos and a 10mm cutter. Got the cutter, but both were out o f the tenons. Rockler promises them tomorrow. Both were also out of the 3 /4 inch brad point drill bit I need for the dog holes.

As posted earlier, I picked up a Groz 10-inch vise for the front vise ($85 from CL) and yesterday scored a lighter 10-inch vise for the tail (CL $20).

I'm building a semi-split top. About 24 inches at the front vise end of the top will be solid across and the remainder will have a 6 inch tool well w ith a removable cover. Modeled in part after a gorgeous bench I saw at Lee Valley.

For joining the trestles and the stringers, I'm going to use the dominos an d where feasible back them up with 3/8 inch bolts.

Pix to come when it gets interesting. At my usual pace that will be someti me next week.

Larry

Reply to
Gramp's shop

cherry 2x6s and today I did a rough cut to length for the 78x26 top and the trestles. This after a half-successful 35 mile trip to Woodcraft/Rockler for

10mm dominos and a 10mm cutter. Got the cutter, but both were out of the tenons. Rockler promises them tomorrow. Both were also out of the 3/4 inch brad point drill bit I need for the dog holes.

from CL) and yesterday scored a lighter 10-inch vise for the tail (CL $20).

top will be solid across and the remainder will have a 6 inch tool well with a removable cover. Modeled in part after a gorgeous bench I saw at Lee Valley.

where feasible back them up with 3/8 inch bolts.

next week.

I used a 3/4 spiral upcut bit in my plunge router. You do have to be careful with it though, the bit will tend to grab.. I figured out that I had to bounce the router up and down rather than try slowly feeding. Then I got clean cuts. But it cuts in seconds and is perfectly vertical. I made a baseplate for my router out of hardboard, put a fence on the hardboard and a hole for the dog. I move the router along the bench with the fence controlling offset from the edge, and the hole references the last doghole for repeatablitiy.

Reply to
woodchucker

I'm going to do this on the DP before gluing up the top. I think your idea was clever, but I don't have a 3/4 upcut bit for my plunge router. Even w ith the soft start on my router, I would be concerned about grabbing. If I did this after assembling the top, that would be a better alternative.

Reply to
Gramp's shop

Funny, I was going to comment on the same item; 3/4" dog holes.

A 3/4" spiral bit is an expensive tool for such a hole. I would usea Home Depot Irwin speed cutting spade bit. They are really nice now days and in a drill press would surely deliver good results. You can probably get a whol e set for the price of one 3/4 brad point spiral I assume.

Haven't checked any prices but assume a spiral at Woodcraft ain't cheap.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Depot Irwin speed cutting spade bit. They are really nice now days and in a drill press would surely deliver good results. You can probably get a whole set for the price of one 3/4 brad point spiral I assume.

I would think a Forstner bit to be easily found, most anywhere, and relatively inexpensive.

Reply to
Leon

Depot Irwin speed cutting spade bit. They are really nice now days and in a drill press would surely deliver good results. You can probably get a whole set for the price of one 3/4 brad point spiral I assume.

The 3/4 spiral was cheap compared to carbide, ONSRUD makes a HS steel one. I think I paid $20 3 years ago at Woodcraft.

I would never have cut my maple with a spade, it most probably would have twisted off.

I had to use an auger for the bolts on the stretchers/rails which ever you want to call them in this case, and even with waxing the bit frequently it did heat up and twist, and that was in beech which I find more friendly to machine than maple.

Reply to
woodchucker

Ok, just checked the price on that bit, and it's not close to $20 anymore. Damn, it more than doubled in price in 3years.

Reply to
woodchucker

I will have about 18 holes to bore thru 2 inch cherry. My experience with my Forstner bits is that it is very slow going thru dense hardwoods and that would be a 3 hour job. I'm going to bite the bullet on a decent brad point bit.

Reply to
Gramp's shop

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 16:24:20 -0500, Leon

That's what I used along with one of these. Clean, relatively quiet and low dust threshold.

none

Hmmm. Used a carbide tipped Forstner on my maple laminated bench and it took about three minutes per dog hole with frequent chip clearing and a little rest time between holes.

Reply to
none

Howzabout square dog holes - just dado out the holes in the side of one of the top boards before glue up.

Square dogs ain't all that bad and you can make them from any good hardwood.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

I used to feel the same way about spades but the new bits by Irwin and othe rs have a pretty sophisticated grind. In construction it takes about 2 seco nds to get through a 2x. I mean these things are aggressive and cut clean i f you control the rate of feed and they feel like they are pulling the bit through the wood, if not possibly literally doing so.

Just an idea.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Jeff was obviously watching me build my bench ;)

I second every piece of advice above.

Reply to
alexy