Bench IV

We've reached the point where it was worthwhile to take a few pics of the n ew bench.

All that remains is a bit of final sanding and finishing with 3-4 coats of Watco natural.

A few notes on construction:

The lumber is reclaimed walnut. Boards measured a whisker under 2x5. Thes e boards were previously door frames at a bank and I bought about 100 linea r feet for $100. Built a coffee table and TV stand earlier and had 70 feet or so remaining. Hence, the bench.

The trestles and stringers were aligned with 10mm dominos (two for each joi nt), glued and secured with 5/16 4" lag bolts.

3/4 inch dog holes were drilled with a forstner bit. That went a lot faste r than I imagined, using the DP.

Used the 10mm dominoes again for alignment on the top glue-up. (I love thi s machine!) Local lumber yard ran it through their wide-belt sander for $6 and change.

Vise jaws are hard maple and for those of you who saw my earlier post on th e out-of-parallel tail vise, my jointer solution worked fine ... and safely .

I plan on adding a three-drawer cabinet on half the lower shelf.

Thanks to all how offered advice and encouragement!!!

Larry

Reply to
Gramp's shop

Very well made. Looks too purty to go in the shop.

Reply to
G. Ross

Very nice bench Larry

Reply to
Leon

Nicely done but seems like a real waste of a lot of nice-looking walnut to just a bench top...

Reply to
dpb

Beautiful! Wow, a walnut work bench ... makes you wonder what the rich folks are doing these days. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

That's nice. Wait till you see how nice having a solid ... really solid bench is... don't worry about it's looks, the first chisel mark only adds character. :-)

Reply to
woodchucker

Very nice bench! But isn't walnut a bit soft for a workbench? I must admit, my bench is Doug Fir, which is also a bit soft for a workbench, but the top is recycled 6"-thick glue-lams that I got for free.

scritch

Reply to
scritch

You're probaby right, scritch, but I had this reclaimed walnut on hand and had no immediate use for it. Any dings will just add character.

Reply to
Gramp's shop

Make sure you have some coasters for the afterwork beverages so you don't spoil the finish. 8-) Nice workbench

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

Larry,

Very nicely executed!

I can't tell in any of the pictures if you have a dog hole in the tail vise chop. If so, I would be curious to know if you have any significant racking issue with the vise in use.

I have been looking at work bench design philosophy for some time. If you're willing, I love to hear, say after 6 months of use, how you find the advantages and dis-advantages of the split top. Also the same for the tool well.

Thanks,

Bill Leonhardt

Reply to
Bill Leonhardt

Bill ...

I looked at a lot of benches on line before deciding on this design. Both the tail and front vises will have dog holes, but I have a pair of Lee Vall ey wonder dogs that take this off the urgent list. I am forever losing tap e measures and pencils, so I decided a tool well was a good fix. I added a magnetic strip at the end opposite the tail vise for my squares (which als o tend to disappear mid-project).

I will post back after I've put the bench to work on a couple of projects.

Larry

se chop. If so, I would be curious to know if you have any significant rac king issue with the vise in use.

u're willing, I love to hear, say after 6 months of use, how you find the a dvantages and dis-advantages of the split top. Also the same for the tool well.

Reply to
Gramp's shop

Mine is offset about an inch, no racking. I needed to get closer to the edge than my vises center offered.

Reply to
woodchucker