Ladder stand-offs - worthwhile?

I need to do some small repairs to one end of a barge board and the adjacent soffit so I was wondering about getting a ladder stand-off to fit around the house corner, either:

or
The first is much cheaper and it would be easy to add a lightweight shelf to the frame. Has anyone used this type? Are the wheeled ones worthwhile? Any other recommendations?

What about ladder feet - any recommendations?

Reply to
no_spam

I needed to get one a few months ago to fix a leaking gutter - got one from Screwfix for about £25. It did the job, and was easy enough to attach and detach. The one you noted from Tesco direct looks a bit cheaper and may be better.

No experience of these, sorry.

Reply to
Clive Page

No - both dangerous IMHO. No means to clamp it to the ladder, it looks like they just hook on.

I have a simple but strong tubular ali one that clamps on with out fuss and is light but strong.

Yes - These:

They work well on concrete and mud and can level it to a certain degree (eg you use 2 one side, 1 the other, or 3 one side, 1 the other.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I thought that initially, but they seem to have a latch that hooks around a rung. It should be easy to modify if it didn't inspire confidence.

Reply to
no_spam

Thanks, how does the latch work?

Reply to
no_spam

off/738-1604.prd

I used to have one bought in Homebase back in the time when they sold such stuff, which was white steel tubing with four hooks in the tubing to fit over two sets of rungs, and a seriously strong spring and a hook on the end which fastened to a rung of the ladder.

This stood the end of the ladder back from the overhang and guttering and also spread the load along the wall with two sideways arms instead of just the two points of contact from a ladder tip.

Sadly lost a move or two ago.

Worked well for me.

More heavyweight than any I can Google at the moment, and even in them days I think it was over £50 ('90s?).

Oh, and my current ladder had built in (allegedly adjustable) feet.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Mine has two metal and plastic things that flap around at the bottom in an annoying manner. I've no idea whether the bolts on them are supposed to be tightened, or whether they are just there to hold them in place. I'm tempted to remove them, but I've no idea if that would improve the stability of the ladder, or not.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

If you look at the Tesco one you can just see part of the usual hook and spring fastening and it is in the description of the other one.

I have had a standoff since the late 80's when I was replacing guttering. They are good because they mean you do noy have to lean backwards when working on the sffits and barge boards. The only mistake I made when buying mine was to buy a steel one. Difficult to use on a lightweight aluminium ladder

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

Yes, I've got one of those, and wouldn't be without it. It's so much easier when you're standing a little way away from what you're working on.

Mine is only for straight walls though and isn't suitable to use on a corner. If you're going to use one designed for a corner, it needs to have rubber pads in the 'V' bit to stop it slipping on the brickwork. The cheaper one cited by the OP doesn't appear to have any.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Yes these are very good.

Bill (aerial installer's dad)

Reply to
Bill Wright

So how many do you get for 19 quid? The picture shows four, but the text suggests only one!

Reply to
Roger Mills

If you mean where it has "Item Package Quantity 1" I've scratched my head on that before with Amazon. I think it's where someone is trying to differentiate from the way the supplier ships them (eg in boxes of 5 sets of 4 mats). They are sold in sets of 4 mats.

Reply to
Robin

off/738-1604.prd

Just to add - one thing I like about standoffs is that you can attach them about 2/3 up the top half of a two piece ladder and then when you are at gutter height there is still some ladder above you which you can hold on to.

I do not like standing near the top of the ladder which is tucked under the guttering and working "freestyle" on the guttering with nothing substantial to hold onto.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Thanks to all - I was tempted to buy a cheapie and add a sheet of aluminium to make a tray but have ordered one of these:

Having looked around at feet, the rubber pads seem to ne a little controversial so I think for soft surfaces I'll make a cleated board to spread the load and stake it to the ground.

Reply to
no_spam

+1 I've often tied a length of wood to it when working above windows so I can still rest on the masonry
Reply to
Stuart Noble

On the recommendation of TMH I bought these

(not from that site - couldn't remember where) and find them very useful.

Reply to
PeterC

I'm 69 and still climbing ladders without mishap. As a child it was my job to pick fruit from trees. Invariably at some point the ladder would settle into the tree to the accompaniment of my fathers voice from below "keep hol d of the ladder it can't fall through the tree because the branches get thi cker as you go". I've never used movable feet, preferring the solid feel of the end of the stiles on the ground. Stand offs are useful additions but i f you are only going to use occasionally think about hiring the item. Also consider zip up scaffold for ease of working.

Reply to
johnjessop46

4 (1 set)
Reply to
Tim Watts

On 24 Feb 2016, Roger Mills grunted:

+1

They're a set of four - the wire loop holds them together and they don't come apart.

Reply to
Lobster

That's what I would hope - but couldn't find anything which actually

*said* it!
Reply to
Roger Mills