Ladder stand-offs - worthwhile?

no snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com scribbled

I saw a prat repairing a 1st floor window today. He was up a ladder that was on concrete - no feet on it. When he told he should have someone holding the bottom of the ladder he replied "If I drop anything, the lad holding the ladder could get hurt"

Reply to
Jonno

So you can't go up a ladder on your own any more? Ridiculous

Reply to
Stuart Noble

No - you need to do a Risk Assessment.

Reply to
charles

There are hooks for the bracket which go over a rung, and then another hook-shaped bit on a spring which you pull down until it goes over the next rung down. The spring is quite strong so it seems to make a fairly firm fixing. I was a bit doubtful but in practice it works. All of those I looked at seem to use the same system, but whether they work or not will depend a bit on the width of the rungs and their spacing, and I guess that may vary from one brand to another.

I took a chance with my Screwfix one, knowing that they would take it back without too much fuss it it wasn't suitable.

Reply to
Clive Page

A good chance.

Buying something like this from Tesco, ye are never quite sure whether it's been assembled with something from their cheese counter ...

I bought mine online. Very useful, except that the unwieldy mass at the top of the ladder adds a bit of inertia when waving it about for position (especially with 5m+ ladders), and ye might be raising and lowering the ladder to get that position right.

Concentrate, don't want to put it through a window or snag the phone line ...

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

A ladder at the correct angle isn't going to slip on a concrete floor unless you grease it.

Reply to
dennis

Malcolm Race a écrit :

Reading this thread and having needed / lacked one in the past when installing new soffits, facias and gutters- I ordered the Tesco version last week, delivered yesterday. Seems well built/ robust enough for the job, but as someone pointed out - it lacks the 'cushions' in the V for working on a corner. I have solved that by adding some 15mm copper pipe insulation in the V.

It hooks onto two rungs, then a fairly stong spring keeps it in place. The spring is more than adequate.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

That was me.

Nice one!

Ditto the one on my Homebase jobbie - needs quite a lot of effort to hook it onto a rung, and unhook it. Mine lacks the 'V' for use on a corner, though.

Reply to
Roger Mills

It was dumped on the doorstep yesterday by Hermes - fortunately it's a low crime area, but at least they put a card through the letterbox to say they'd left it on the doorstep !!. It seems much more solid than others I've seen, with the parts welded together rather than being bent, but that means it's probably a little heavier. Now all I need is the right round tuit.

Reply to
no_spam