FYI - Ladder Stand-off/Stabilizer

Needed one to do some fascia board peaks. Picked this up on line for

35.50 (price when called order in) + $8 shipping UPS. They shipped the day I ordered and had it in 2 days. Thing that attracted me to this one was that depth is adjustable from 13-25".

Never had one of these. Worth every penny. All the times/years of trying to work directly above my head while s*****ng pants.

Actual pic of unit in use. Set about half way depth.

Red Green

That's a great price if you're in the right place. They would have charged me $40 for shipping. Mcmaster Carr shipped me one for $72, delivered a couple years ago.

I don't know if it is 'getting old enough to know that 'shit' could happen to you', getting too stiff to maneuver comfortably, just getting smarter, or not being on a ladder often enough anymore. . .. But I'm with you- they make ladder work a whole lot more enjoyable.

My property is on a slope that makes eaves work a real joy- so I also got a set of leg extensions that year. They add a bit to the weight of that ladder-- but also reduce the fear of dying by gravity.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Gravity doesn't kill you on this planet. It's the sudden change in acceleration.

RicodJour

Hi Oren,

My wife and I just finished prepping and painting my in-laws house that had been neglected for many years (due to their poor health). There were numerous layers of peeling paint, and it was in much much worse condition than the one in the video above.

I looked at one of those stripper tools at Home Depot, but couldn't justify the price tag for a one time job. Then I found the same mesh disc on a wheel that fit my 4" grinder for about one fourth the price (with the other grinder wheels and sanding disks).

Good News: Yes, it works great for removing the paint and leaving the wood underneath untouched. I TRIED to sand into the wood on a scrap piece of siding and it had very little effect. It doesn't clog with paint like my random orbit sander did, and it even worked well for getting up under the bottom edge of each row of siding.

Bad News: It wears out quickly. We finished "maybe" a 10'x12' area and the disk was too worn to continue using it. At something close to $20 for the disk, that would get pricy quickly.

I tried my random orbit sander with 60 and 80 grit papers, but it clogged quickly and was just too slow.

In the end, the best tool we found was an 80 grit "flap-disk" sanding wheel that fit my 4" angle grinder. It didn't clog like my RO sander and was much faster. However, you CAN sand right through the wood if you get too agressive with it. This actually worked well in our case where we were trying to blend some old siding with new siding. But it's pretty easy to get the hang of it without damaging anything. They cost about $5- $8 depending on where you buy them. We used three on the entire house.

Of course, removing any loose paint you can with a good scraper really helps reduce the work needed with the flap-disk (making it last longer).

DO NOT use a pressure washer on the house. It's easy to damage the siding itself, but more importantly will force water into the wood, and potentially into the walls (a problem for us, since there is no sheathing under the siding of my in-laws 100 year old house).

If you have the time, I recommend going all the way down to bare wood. We "thought" we had done a thorough job of prepping the walls, but the rough layers of paint were still quite visible in many areas. Considering the condition the house was in it's not a big deal, but it sucks to put that much work in and not have it perfect. :)

Good luck. It's dirty work with no reward until you actually prime and repaint. Even with safety glasses and dust masks you end up covered in paint dust from head to toe.

Have Fun,

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

RicodJour wrote in news:bc3534d4-a487-49b8-9d01- snipped-for-privacy@o10g2000yqa.googlegroups.com:

-32ft/sec/sec. It's the minus sign that does all the damage...

Reply to
Red Green

Thanks! I bought the tool this morning. So far, it means I have some work to do.

I'm about to do a corner on the fascia at 8 ft. ladder height and see how it works.

Reply to
Oren

Oren wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Pros & cons, keep us posted. That comment about pads @20 bucks a pop is spooky. Resembles an inkjet printer. Buy two cartridges and the cost of the printer is exceeded.

Reply to
Red Green

I will keep you posted .

Pads do NOT cost $20.00. Almost, but around 15 dollars.

If this thing doesn't throw me off the ladder I expect to be okay. Then I can report :-/

Reply to
Oren