Sketchup Problem

I got volunteered to help somebody learn Sketchup. Which will be quite interesting since I have spent all of 30 minutes with the program.

What is being done is quite simple. Antique radios, etc. Nothing fancy, If he can draw a box with some knobs and an old circular radio dial, it will be enough. And some very simple circuit diagrams. Again, nothing fancy. It ain't art. Just some diagrams to help a hobbyist.

Soooo...., here are my questions.

1) Any collection of electronic components, old radios or circuitry available any where? Again, this is old stuff, tubes, early transistors, big knobs, radio dials, etc. No need for circuit board design or anything like that.

2) Any words of wisdom to become sketchup semi-proficient within a few days?

I don't feel all that good about my honey volunteering me, but I need to get some basic sketchup skills together for a number of projects. So, I won't bitch too much.

And hey, those old radios had wooden cabinets. Soooo, it is sorta woodworking related. ;-)

Thanks,

Lee

Reply to
Lee Michaels

?q=3Dradio+oldYou can download a model and cannibalize it for parts.

There are a number of tutorials online that will help you avoid the more common pitfalls. Rule one is to start making groups out of things right from the get go so they won't glue to other drawn elements. When things that should be independent glue together it makes editing them a bitch.

This is Google's intro to SketchUp tutorial. It's nice to be able to use the application to learn the application.

But there are other video tutorials besides Google's:
is also good:
guy wrote the For Dummies book, and it's probably the cleanest way into SketchUp:

RicodJour

There used to be excellent Sketchup video tutorials, but it is some years since I stopped using the program so I might be way out of date.

Tim W

Reply to
Tim W

Go to YouTube and watch all the beginner's tutorials. It'll bring you and the tutee up to speed in a hurry.

is full of obstacle illusions. -- Grant Frazier

Reply to
Larry Jaques

If you are just starting, multiply the amount of time you think it will take by 2.5, at least. Good luck!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

"Lee Michaels" wrote in news:4d768b0a$0$29739$c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Everything a woodworker should know about SketchUp can be found at

There are many other sides to SketchUp that aren't addressed in his tutorials but if you sit down and follow thru the "Beginner Sketchup Tutorial" you can probably get up to speed in a single day.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

I don't use the parts libraries but there is some online 3d warehouse thing.

Someone else mentioned groups but I think the most important thing to learn at first besides drawing technique is to use components. Make everything a component. Like as soon as you create a shape and do the first extrude, then highlight the whole thing and right click to Make Component and name it.

Eventually make new components out of groups of components (ie like a face frame all as one unit after it is made out of separate sticks).

Then use the Outliner to manage your components to turn them off, etc.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Lee,

Simply go to 3dWarehouse and type in "radio" or "antique radio" thusly:

should find plenty of models and collections.

Reply to
Swingman

There are a number of tutorials online that will help you avoid the more common pitfalls. Rule one is to start making groups out of things right from the get go so they won't glue to other drawn elements. When things that should be independent glue together it makes editing them a bitch.

Actually I think you meant to say rule number one is to start making "components" out of everything. With components you can modify one and all copies, unless made unique, will share that modification.

This is Google's intro to SketchUp tutorial. It's nice to be able to use the application to learn the application.

there are other video tutorials besides Google's:
is also good:
guy wrote the For Dummies book, and it's probably the cleanest way into SketchUp:

Leon