Second Floor Shop

There's been some discussion regarding second floor shops. Mine is just being finished. The major tools moved in this morning. It all went smooth as silk.

Here is a picture of my jointer on a forklift:

french doors and balcony were designed for just this use. I had considered some sort of barn-like beam and hoist -- the framing is re-enforced for hold it. But SWMBO vetoed any permanent beam jutting out and the engineering was getting kind of complex.

In the end, renting a forklift seemed to be the best solution. It's kind of pricy, so I won't be doing it everyday.

-- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

Nice forklift. That's what you're showing, Right? :-) Joe

Reply to
Joe_Stein

You could have put an I beam on rollers with a rolling winch that you could retract into the shop. I did this in my 2nd floor shop and it works well. Yes, the engineering was tricky. I used scissor trusses (2/12 inside pitch) to help get the beam up higher and out of the way.

here is a link to the rollers I'm talking about. I had some special brackets made to distribute the load over several trusses

GeeDubb