no heat on second floor

Hello everyone,

I have an 100 year old house with a 10 year old furance. I did annual tune up on it before the cold season started testing only heat on the first floor which worked just fine. However, now that it is time to use the furnace all the time, I have discovered that I have no heat on the second floor. The ducts coming from the furnace (forced air) run into the old heat ducts that run through the wall from the basement to the second floor. I was wondering if anyone could give any help or make any suggestions as to what I could do or what the problem might be.

Thanks you very much.

Carl

carlbernardi

Go to the room where furnace is located. You will see that there is a split in ducts, some of the goes to first floor, other probably to second. They have a damper that could be open or closed. You will have to ck very carefully to find them directly on the side of the duct. That might be a problem - this is just one of the options.

Regards

Reply to
NewGuy

That sounds very logical. If that is not the cure, check for a bird or squirrel nest., or if one of the kids shoved a pillow into the duct.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Sounds right. Just fyi Carl, the damper is operated by a lever from the outside of the duct. Typically the damper is open when the lever points in the direction which the duct is traveling, and closed when it is at 90 degrees to that.

Reply to
KZ

Hi Carl!

C > I have an 100 year old house with a 10 year old furance. I did annual C > tune up on it before the cold season started testing only heat on the C > first floor which worked just fine. However, now that it is time to C > use the furnace all the time, I have discovered that I have no heat on C > the second floor. The ducts coming from the furnace (forced air) run C > into the old heat ducts that run through the wall from the basement to C > the second floor. I was wondering if anyone could give any help or C > make any suggestions as to what I could do or what the problem might C > be.

My guess is a duct shifted, disconnected, and fell/moved. Trace your duct(s) to the upper floor -- easier if previously identified, else use a vacuum or radio to make a noise at an upstairs vent and should echo to the furnace.

As for the actual finding of the disconnect......depends on where it is.

Another option and certainly a lot easier to correct is the damper to the upstairs was closed.

  • Some people are like a callus: they show up when the work is finished.
Reply to
barry martin

Actually, upond closer inspection, I have no dampers. I got one vent working by taping it up in the basement, the other seems to have gotten a bit better but not enough (my guess is that it is jammed and I will have to clean it out). My bigger problem now is that I have relized that on the second floor there are no return vents. So I am thinking about going through the wall that extends between the basement and second floor as a solution and hoping that I don't have to run any metal duct work to seal it. After all it is just a return went. Anyhow, anyhow input on this next problem is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Carl

Reply to
carlbernardi