concrete deck on second floor!

I have a concrete deck on the second floor and every time it rains the water will leak into the first floor. Why would anyone put a deck above another finished floor and of all things concrete? Anyway, I have removed the concrete down to the wood deck subfloor. Now I don't know what to use to make the deck water tight. The deck must support people walking on it and equipment as a BBQ, lawn furniture and such. Dex-O-Tex, Mer-Kote or other? Has anyone found an acceptable solution as to the kind of material and durability? TIA

Reply to
Fred

No DIY suggestions, but sounds like you need one of those pro-installed membrane decking systems- essentially a heavy-duty membrane roof with a non-skid walkable top surface. All of this assumes a strong enough roof surface, and suitable flashing where deck section meets second-floor section. Can't see from here, but common problem with decks like you have/had is insufficent drainage and/or a low spot. Water ponds, and will always find a way out. Scuttles at edge, and even an internally-plumbed center drain, may be called for. If you have enough height between door to second floor and the actual roof below, the more traditional approach would be a slightly sloped metal or mopped roof, with a floating deck on sleepers or flashed posts above it, but that is likely to be very heavy compared to a membrane roof. Whatever final weather surface is, it can't be dead-flat - you need at least the slight slope that a ground level patio has, from high point to drain point. If small, slope entire deck slightly from 2nd floor wall, if large, a slight peak down centerline. If very large, or parapet walls involved, need to shape roof to flow to scuttles and/or center catch box and drain.

At this price point, I'd go for pro advice from an architect with expertise in unusal roofs, or at least a professional engineer. An experienced roofing company may be able to seat-of-the-pants it, but a real engineer would make your insurance company happier. The solution ain't gonna be cheap in any case.

Wild alternative, if your budget allows- enclose the deck with a glass sunroom with a sloped roof.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers