Sawstop--the wrong marketing approach?

Right, and the petition was rejected. Now they are manufacturing their own line of tooling with sawstop. Besides, the free market never decided they did not want it, it was once again the manufacturers lack of concern for the safety of the consumer that decided they did not want it. How is that a failure? We' shall see if the free market wants it or not.

Reply to
ted harris

Mike Marlow responds:

Good question with the current hullabaloo about medicinal marijuana.

Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Charlie Self

Don't try and backpedal to try and make us believe that you did not say that the saw had to be shipped here or there...? I mean, if you know that there is a possiblity that the sawstop device is going to be activated and you don't stock an extra cartridge and blade? Well then, maybe you shouldn't be allowed to operate ANY power tool?

Actually, Steve Gass of sawstop stated in a post on Sawmill Creek that "People regularly push three fingers right through the blade before they can flinch. Human reaction time is about 25-50 times slower than SawStop, so even if you are going fast, the accident will likely be far less significant with SawStop than without it." I am quite sure that if you email him, he will be glad to support any statement he has made with research, links, proof, etc.

You could email them at mailto: snipped-for-privacy@sawstop.com, instead of speculating here on the internet, and perpetuating yet another "urban legend" and find out, but I suspect that you have no interest in the truth anyway. Steve Gass has stated that it only takes a "few seconds" to change the cartridge when switching between a regular blade and a dado blade." I don't see why it would take much longer to change the cartridge when it misfires. My suspicion is that you don't have the balls to man up and do some research like Steve Gass has, so just keep putting YOUR spin on this issue, instead of getting the facts.

Reply to
ted harris

J responds:

LOL. With the table saw, the unit drops back into the saw's underside, a particular emphasis and part of the sales pitch. I kind of wonder how that's going to work with radial arm saws, miter saws, et al. Obviously, the brake mechanism can be easily varied. But dropping the unit below the table top? Man, that variation is NOT going to be easy with a radial arm saw!

Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Charlie Self

Delta also puts a splitter on that saw and that didn't stop me from buying it either. Of course I haven't seen the splitter since the day I bought the saw. To answer your question, no. I'm pretty sure though that Sawstop has some interest in being paid or they would have sent us all one by now. Most of us could come up with an overpriced product that nobody wants. Not many of us could sell it and so far, neither can Sawstop.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

As opposed to your argument that is based on supposition and falsehoods?

Reply to
ted harris

Wasn't that over "the last several years" as you yourself stated? Once again, the skeptics are referring to the past...not the present!

Reply to
ted harris

I thought you said the choice was to buy a new saw for $1600? That is why I said really. Which one is it?

You started it.

-j

accidents...

I don't think that safety devices do this, but "performance accessories" like a new set of big fat tires or a huge wing on the back DO encourage reckless driving. As long as tablesaws don't have spoilers or big fart pipes on the back I think we are all responsible enough not to work dangerously.

-j

I did my research. Your turn.

Right. This is why I replaced my fused electrical service with a set of circuit breakers. I still have a box of fuses. If you want them let me know.

Actually, since fuses are a dime a piece and there are always some extras included in the fuse compartment this isn't much of an issue unless you forget to replace them a number of times. And in the situation where you really truly don't have a fuse you just take one from something that you don't need. Power windows for example. I have done this on more than one occasion. On another occasion I blew a big starter fuse which was unusual enough that I didn't have a spare and that most auto parts stores don't carry. I fashioned one out of some wire I had in the trunk.

In none of these cases was I carrying around a spare part which cost a substantial fraction of the car's original cost.

Then why didn't the saw makers buy into this device? Why didn't the CPSC approve their petition? Why aren't people lining up to buy this saw?

Can it all just be conspiracy? Go ask Occam.

-j

No doubt. But it appears that they are having trouble that this is the case.

-j

So really the cost of this device is twice what it appears? Regulation about who can use tools based on how well supplied with spares they are... What a concept. This will reduce the number of contractors in business by an order of magnitude. On the positive side, no excuse to head off to the store and then out for a cup of coffee.

So you base your statement on hearsay from someone who has a substantial vested interest in the topic? I'm still trying to figure out how the math works out from what he said to "2.5 fingers". Word problems... what can you do!

here

No, you claimed it is user serviceable. Perhaps you can stop speculating and find out.

I'm not interested in the facts. If I was I wouldn't be wasting my time debating you.

-j

facts.

-j

Meaning what, precisely? That he has two hand-built prototypes out for testing?

He did not say they were in production. He did not say they were shipping. He did not say they were in inventory.

This is the kind of statement you need to be very suspicious of. It sounds like more than it's actually saying.

--RC

Projects expand to fill the clamps available -- plus 20 percent

Reply to
rcook5

So that explains the 3,000 amputations every year caused by contact with the rotating cutter, huh?

Reply to
ted harris

Looks to me like on units where the blade cannot be retracted, such as a bandsaw the brake is the only option, such as a bandsaw.

Reply to
ted harris

I've seen too many examples of people becoming complacent with their 'equipment' to buy your argument. Perhaps most people won't drive more recklessly with an airbag but many do with four wheel drive and/or anti-lock brakes. There will always be a portion of the public that puts too much faith in safety equipment... I like to think of it as population control.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Well, clearly some three kilopeople annually are in fact not responsible enough not to work dangerously. It's somewhat less clear that any government-mandated safety device is a better means of preserving their digits than simple responsible safety practices.

Doug Miller

"Not quite true" eh? What part, exactly?

What is the harm, you ask? If you don't see the harm in using the power of the government to force people to buy a product that they don't want, I suppose there isn't much basis for a continued discussion.

Doug Miller