Sawstop--the wrong marketing approach?

Glad to see you have a sense of humor. I was beginning to wonder.

On a more serious note:

I consider the chainsaw far more dangerous than the tablesaw, but don't use it as frequently. Wonder if the SawStop sensor mechanism would work on a chainsaw? All they'd have to do is shut down the motor.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

yup!

Reply to
igor

Uh Ted, he was just parroting your own words back at you; I quote:

"First off, anyone ... is an absolute moron ...".

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

So it's okay for the naysayers to debate the issue, but someone that disagrees whith what YOU believe is a moron, a shill, and maybe even a sock puppet. Can you say "hypocrite?" Good luck to you sir!

Reply to
ted harris

LOLOLOL...thanks for bringing a little humor into this debate.

Reply to
ted harris

That's okay with me, because if I had touched it an inch closer, well you know the rest of the story... You buy insurance don' you? Isn't insurance speculation as well?

Reply to
ted harris

Duh! Is there any other possibility?

LOLOLOL...a grizzly 1023Z with a Ridge Carbide TS 2000...

Reply to
ted harris

Are you kidding me...?

Reply to
ted harris

That's the most well thought out and best executed post you've made so far...signs of intelligence!

Reply to
ted harris

That about sums it for you... .-- Ted Harris

ted harris

So every time you hit a nail you need a new chainsaw blade? And since the sawstop needs to be disabled when cutting metallic substances, what happens when you hit a nail in a piece of barnwood? New blade and unit required?

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

This is a very serious subject...

I think it wilol work on anything that has a rotational blade. If it works on a bandsaw, it should work on a chainsaw too.

Reply to
ted harris

Seems to me that the chainsaw is a different animal. Stop the motor and the chain stops within one(?) rotation. Probably enough to keep you from taking off your foot.

As to barnwood, you'll probably need a pretty good metal detector.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

I would fear that trying to stop the chain that quickly would tend to create an unacceptably high risk of having chain parts flying around. Add to that the fact that chain saws operate in environments that are far from controlled, often in the rain, snow, mud etc. and cut green wood a lot I can see *way* too many opportunities for false positives for it to be a practical solution on a chain saw. Add the need to keep it as small and light as possible and I think it's a complete non-starter. Current chain-braking technology works acceptably well for most circumstances that matter with a chain saw (kickback) and is unlikely to be greatly improved on by adding complexity.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

One of the limits of SawStop, according to all the reports, is that it doesn't work in very damp wood, such as you're more likely to encounter with a chain saw.

--RC

Projects expand to fill the clamps available -- plus 20 percent

Reply to
rcook5

Nor did I say that you said so. I simply asked what the limits were of your distaste for governmet regulation. Am I correct to assume that you think that government regulation can be a good and necessary thing? If so, we might have a reasonable discussion about the merits of regulation in this particular instance. If not, then you must oppose the other examples that I raised.

Again, so what if they use government to impose the adoption of someting that the free market did not want... if the imposition is a good thing. Your suggestions seemed to be that such an approach was categorically wrong. Am I misunderstanding?

I am simple asking if encouraging the government to adopt any such regulations if acceptable to you. If it is, let's talk about the merits of StopSaw rather that the use of government to impose regulation.

By the way, technically speak> >

Reply to
tzipple

I really don't know a thing about chainsaws, so I can't comment.

Reply to
ted harris

I'm sure many of you have see these before, but if you have not, enjoy!

STUPID LOCAL LAWS

In Ottumwa, Iowa, "It is unlawful for any male person, within the corporate limits of the (city), to wink at any female person with whom he is unacquainted."

In Los Angeles, you cannot bathe two babies in the same tub at the same time.

In Zion, Ill., it is illegal for anyone to give lighted cigars to dogs, cats, and other domesticated animals kept as pets.

In Carmel, N.Y., a man can't go outside while wearing a jacket and pants that do not match.

Reply to
Glen

That hasn't stopped you so far. Why start now?

Doug Miller

Glen posts:

Let's remember our morality, though. Virginia recently bragged about supplying $435 (or $485, I can recall which) million to schools and old folks from the...state lottery. It's OK when the politicos say it is.

Oddly enough, this makes a kind of sense. Tree stands are usually about 15 feet up, and force the hunter to fire downwards, limiting bullet travel in case of a miss.

Charlie Self "It is when power is wedded to chronic fear that it becomes formidable." Eric Hoffer

Reply to
Charlie Self