Sawstop--the wrong marketing approach?

The evidence cited below, plus a lot of other confirming evidence.

Good grief! You're not even willing to do the research when someone spoon feeds you the references. I guess this is all pretty useless.

Compared to the 45 percent offered by seat belts, yes that's very little additional protection. Plus you have to factor in the increased risk of injury at lower levels of severity.

Not hardly. However the statistics show that you are more likely to suffer lesser degrees of injury if air bags deploy than if they do not deploy.

Untrue, according to the numbers. If you are involved in a crash you are more likely to suffer injury if you have an air bag and it deploys in all but crashes that produce the most severe (Level 6 -- almost certainly non-survivable) injuries.

Well, no. The term 'statisticaly insignifcant' means that it is simply too close to call. Within the margin of error for the sample. It could well be statistical noise. You can't draw any conclusions from it.

However if you break it down the picture becomes even worse.

The 7 percent may not exist at all. That's the point of 'statistically insignificant.' Note also that the 9 percent includes the people in higher risk categories, such as very short people and children. Since I don't fall into those categories, I am at even lower risk.

Okay. But your implication is still incorrect. American manufacturers (GM) started putting air bags in cars in 1985, years before they were formally required. So the Europeans were not ahead of the Americans.

Their primary motivation was more likely the same as the GM's -- They knew air bags were probably coming and they needed to get experience with them. The usual way to do this is to phase it in on high-end cars as an option.

Or are you seriously going to suggest that big auto manufacturers are more alturistic if their headquarters are in other countries? I haven't noticed an upsurge in corporate citizenship since Dailmer bought Chrysler.

Nope. 9 percent for all drivers in fatalities -- traded off for a greater risk of lesser injuries. And a statistically insignificant 'improvement' -- which may or may not be a statistical artifact in injuries in all categories.

Yet you seem to be ignoring it. In this thread.

In fact it was my EMT instructor (IIRC) who first pointed this phenomenon out to me. He stressed the fact that even though belted drivers didn't hit the wheel or the dash, it was important to handle them as if they had suffered internal injuries because a lot of them had.

However I don't propose to match my long-expired Level 1 EMT certificate against your experience. My instructor's point was confirmed by a search of the literature.

While there is a lot on seat belt injuries, I was unable to find a single reference to steering wheel or dashboard injuries to drivers wearing the now-standard 3-point harness.

I don't doubt your story, but again the research indicates that this is extremely rare.

And again, you're more likely to suffer Level 5 or below trauma if your air bag deploys than if you're simply using a seat belt.

Okay, so you're not talking about a crash where the driver is thrown forward into the steering wheel. You're talking about an accident where the entire structure of the car is deformed and the passenger compartment collapses. That wasn't clear from your original statement.

However judging from the literature this is a tiny percentage of accidents. Again, there's nothing I could find on seat belt injuries from contact with the dash or steering wheel.

It also seems to me that an air bag isn't going to do a lot for you in that case. It may prevent the initial violent impact, but you're still going to get crushed as the structure (and the air bag) collapses.

But unlike the hard data, that's just my opinion.

Dozens of them. I was a police reporter. As a court reporter I also sat through the lawsuits that followed, including reconstructions of crashes and crah injuries.

Again, your position isn't supported by the evidence.

If someone can point these problems out to me I'd be very interested. Since you can't even be bothered to read the references and your grasp the concept of 'statistical insignificance' is non-existant, any such problems that might exist are pretty obviously beyond you.

Nope. The 7 percent may well be a statistical artifact. But when you break injuries down by category, you find a higher percentage of injuries for airbag versus belted drives at every category but level

  1. >> Besides, if your seat belt is properly adjusted you won't hit the >> steering wheel. >

Not according to the evidence. If this happens there's no refererence to it in the literature.

Also, if I understand you, in the cases you're talking about the driver didn't hit the steering wheel, the steering wheel hit the driver.

I'm making my decision based on the facts as I know them, buttessed by the research I have done.

person.

And the people injured by air bags might differ from your opinion.

Since she was belted in, she would not have hit the wheel. That's the point of 3-point restraints and they're very effective.

Wrong.

Google for 'seat belt injuries' 'steering wheel' and 'dashboard' and see what you find.

I keep repeating it because it is true.

Again, you're talking about the dash or wheel hitting the occupants, not vice-versa.

And since it's such an obvious proposition, how about some references to how air bags prevent injuries in such cases? If you're correct, that should be a no-brainer. Except I can't find anything like that. And I have looked.

--RC

Projects expand to fill the clamps available -- plus 20 percent

Reply to
rcook5

By the time Ralph Nader was killing the Corvair, the design flaws had been addressed. The Corvair was really a decent car. My high school english teacher had one of the sport models. (I think he still has it!) That car really had some get-gone!

Grant

Charlie Self wrote:

Reply to
Grant P. Beagles

Yeah, because a vague statement like you made could or could not be based on anywhere in that report. I was hoping you could, you know, indicate what page or something.

No response?

Seems to me it takes 45% up to 54%.

You're saying what I've been saying and not what you've been saying. You're right this time, if the airbags deploy, you'll get hurt less.

So, it can save your life in really really bad crashes, it can decrease your serious injuries in merely "really bad" crashes, but it might give you a scrape in a minor injury? The balance seems obviously tilted towards "use 'em".

It's all the data that's available. We're not doing a presidential poll here where the data gathered is a subset of the whole population, we're comparing raw numbers of the actual results. 16% having a dramatically better outcome is significant, I'm sorry if you disagree.

Oh, well, _that_ clears it all up.

You said before short people and children were _harmed_ more than helped. Now you cite (twice) that it's actually a 9% net positive for them. You're contradicting yourself.

Companies like Mercedes and Saab (and, to a lesser extent Volvo) actually give a shit about safety, and make changes to their cars that aren't mandatory. The first two at least, have allowed anyone to use their safety patents, rather than greedily keeping them to themselves.

Yes, I'm seriously suggesting that, for instance, Saab has designed around safety features since their inception. I'm seriously suggesting that Mercedes invented the concept of "crumple zones", and allows everyone to use their technology. I could go on and on with details (more for Saab than Mercedes as that's where my direct knowledge is), but you'd probably choose to disregard each example in turn.

If they live, the scrapes can heal. You're not really suggesting that a bit of pain is comparable to a death, are you?

If this was a subset, I could see this being sampling error. I don't see anything to suggest this is anythign other than the raw statistics.

I have never said airbags should be used by themselves.

Close. It's more like "even if you don't _know if_ they hit the wheel or dash, since you don't want to be sued for someone becoming paralyzed, you handle the c-spine as if it was damaged". In other words, everyone gets a collar, everyone gets boarded. Some states allow EMTs to clear spinal concerns in the field, and happily I am not in one of those states. You apparently misinterpreted the intention of what the EMT instructor told you.

Yes, of course, because why actually talk about real accident scenes when you can post another link. Or not.

Well, I can talk to ford-guy. He's the dad of a friend of mine. Maybe he's got pictures.

You said "never". Now you're improving to "extremely rare".

If you say so. I'll trade the chance of minor trauma for a chance at not dying, thanks all the same.

Yes, for instance.

Didn't need to be. You said, unequivically, that a patient who is belted will not hit the steering wheel or dashboard, ever.

"seat belt injuries from contact with the dash or steering wheel" is a nonsensical phrase. If you mean "belted passengers injured by car structure impingement" or something, well, maybe it's your google technique.

Depends on how close it gets, dunnit? Your body _does_ come off the seat when you're stopping very fast, even with belts which do stretch.

And you haven't seen dashboards roll?

You keep saying that, and yet...

Look. I'm trying to see if your point of view has _any_ merit, and so far all I get is "it's in the article somewhere", "an EMT instructor friend of mine (I think) said", and "you don't understand stats".

...where people get really, really hurt, or not. Yes, I understand. In other words, they do the most good at the most severe crashes. Go figure.

You're backpedaling from your backpedal above.

Yeah, 'cuz that makes _all_ the difference in the world, injury-wise. Sheesh.

I'll take minor injury over "dead" any day.

Good thing it wasn't a more severe crash then, eh?

I'll amend that to "you haven't paid attention to the dynamics at many crashes, have you".

Maybe in your world seat belts don't stretch at impact. If I thought I could change your mind, I'd bother to google for seat belt dynamics in a crash.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

A whole lot of stuff -- which is well beyond the point of diminishing returns. Since he won't look at the evidence and doesn't even understand such elementary concepts as statistical insignificance, and since he can't provide any documented support for his position this whole conversation is pretty much useless.

He's had his say and I've had mine. Anyone who's interested in the truth can follow the references I've posted or do their own research.

--RC

rcook5

You gave me a many-page report as your 'evidence', and will not say what in there you are talking about.

The statistical error -you- are talking about is in a sample which is a subset of all the data. However, the report which you cite seems to _be_ all of the data, not just a sampling. Therefore the 7 and 9 percent are real percents of the total population of data.

You're the one making the statement that airbags do more harm than good, while citing a study showing they reduce deaths by 9% and serious injuries by 7% (or is it the other way around? Whatever). And you say that _I_ don't understand the topic? Sheesh.

I notice you completely evade my questions. One last one. Let's say there is a device which may give you a mild injury where you wouldn't have had any, in a mild crash, but gives you a double-digit better chance of a better outcome in a severe crash. Would you trade a bit of bag-rash for a saved life?

Somehow, I think I know you won't be able to answer that in a meaningful way.

Reply to
Dave Hinz