RE: T/S Inertia

Not turning on is never an issue when changing a saw blade... I've seen plenty of things not turn on, for various and sun dry reasons":-)

Yes some do, some don't. When I ran a BBS it was imperative that the PC turn on and boot by itself. There were some that didn't, and that was a problem if you ran a BBS.

Reply to
Jack Stein

right and get a NEMA Size 1, 1PH motor starter complete with a NEMA 1 enclosure and a remote Start-Stop push button station.

The above will handle a 3HP,1 PH,60 HZ motor operating at 230VAC.

Haven't sold motor controls for almost 30 years so have lost all cost data; however, WW Grainger is not known for giving away the store.

I'd check a local industrial electrical distributor.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Ya right.

--------------------------------------------------------------- Hey, would you turn one down?

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

You got good results from those?

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Pass and Seymour offer Manual Reset models, so probably the same price as Grainger. I think I'll just remember to unplug!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

That is why I said the kind with the GFCI and a manual reset (you did not copy that link) is more reasonable. You could not get a starter and station and other required hardware for that price.

That product is listed here:

found it somewhere for about 36 bucks; includes a aigtail male and female, with a box containing the GFCI in the middle. Available for 15 and 18 amp -120 volt and also 240 volt.

Too late to find it again, now.

About 4 years ago, they had the restart protection device only for a little less than that. It might still be out there.

Reply to
Morgans

"Lobby Dosser" wrote

I found it for about 36 bucks, but lost it, now.

Reply to
Morgans

Nope, I didn't try either that day. What'd you find? Anything?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"Lobby Dosser" wrote

The local (El Paso) Lowes has them.

Max

Nothing

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Those are GFCI. What we're looking for is a cord with a switch that will go to Off on a power loss and require a Manual reset.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

"Lobby Dosser" wrote

SOME of the GFCI variety will behave as we need them too, and need a manual reset after the power is off. The trick is checking which ones are like that.

I will try to remember and check the ones at Lowe's to see if they require a manual reset when powered on.

Reply to
Morgans

------------------------------- In it's wildest wet dream, it doesn't begin to provide the function and protection of a motor starter.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

So what wonderful magical thing does a motor starter do that makes it so vastly more functional and protective?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Low voltage drop-out?

Reply to
keithw86

It turns off when the grid power goes off. When the power returns, the device does not start until the switch is pressed.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

This type switch would have been nice on an 'old' Ryobi planer that I used to have. While planing a board the power went off for about 5-6 seconds. The operation stopped mid board. While wondering what was was going on the power came back on. Unfortunately the planer did too except that the belt driven cutter head knives were stuck in the board and the motor burned up the belt before I realized what was going on. A magnetic switch would have prevented that from happening.

Reply to
Leon

"Lobby Dosser" wrote

As does the right portable GFIC device.

Reply to
Morgans

What does GFIC stand for? Not confusing with GFCI I presume as those do not have to be reset after a power failure.

Reply to
Leon

Well, Dosser, what part of "By requiring the user to press the reset button after power loss the dangers of unexpected start-ups are averted" are you having trouble with? Dossing in the lobby during remedial reading were you, or was it just that you couldn't be assed to read the whole 4 pages of big print before you spouted off?

Reply to
J. Clarke