S&J Predator wood saws at B&Q

FYI.

I assume its a national deal, my local B&Q has Spear & Jackson 'Predator' wood saws on offer - BOGOF.

Choice is a 'first fix' 7tpi, a 'second fix' 10tpi or a 'universal' 8tpi.

Two very good saws for £9:98.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Couple of years ago I bought a S&J Garden Predator from TS - it's bloody good! Just don't even feel the teeth for sharpness or you'll start leaking!

Reply to
PeterC

Are these the same as or similar to the Stanley "Jetcut" saws? I have a small collection of these in various tpi. Extremely sharp and make an absolutely smooth cut with no teeth marks.

Sadly Stanley don't seem to do these saws anymore.

Reply to
Steve Firth

They sound like the Japanese saws from Axminster, which are more expensive but the best hand saws I have ever used for fine work.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

[snip]

My memory of those is that the Japanese saws are pull saws and have very fine blades. The Stanley Jetcut had the tooth pattern that has a cutting edge for both forward and pull strokes of the saw and the teeth have no set, like the Japanese saws. Stanley refer to them as "triple bevel teeth". Bosch also make some jigsaw blades with the same tooth pattern. Those are excellent, particularly good for hardwood and the cut needs little or no finishing since it is extremely smooth.

I found that B&Q still do the Stanley saws. It must be all the DIY sheds in Italy that have stopped selling them. Most of the big sheds have now been taken over by the French and have stopped selling practical tools and now focus on designer gloves, coloured secateurs and really naff handtools that fall apart in seconds. I'll have to fill up the car with tools next time I shop in the UK.

Reply to
Steve Firth

This deal has been going for a while in my local B&Q warehouse and I bought= a pair a few weeks ago.

They're a joy to use and I've used them for things I would have got a power= saw out for in the past. =20 Maybe that's just because I'm comparing them to my old ones (being too tigh= t fisted to buy new saws=20 all the time!). =20

How long they'll last I've no idea but I would recommend anyone who is thin= king about them to grab a=20 pair while they're cheap as the price beats just about anything I've seen a= nywhere else for the quality.

Reply to
GMM