Re: eWoodShop - Mission Bar Stool - Seat Frames

Thanks, Mike ... you're right up there in the woodworking department, for a drummer. :)

Reply to
Swingman

>>> Ummm ... what is this??

>>> In designated location ... only took ten years.

>>> The general idea behind the madness ...

>>> Onward through the fog ...

Thanks, Mike ... me being color challenged to the max, Linda picked out the upholstery. I brought her along thinking she needed to approve the color like she does my ties and socks, and, as luck would have it, and ever the nosy female, she went through the upholstery shop's scrap bin and found just enough to do the job in her color of choice.

Reply to
Swingman

Damn Nice

A place to lift my leg and act like a male dog????

woodchucker

would have be an act ... she often lifts both hind legs at the same time and stands on her front legs to pee. Must have some skunk in there somewhere.

Reply to
Swingman

"Swingman" wrote

Well, I certainly hoped you got a discount for pulling the needed materials out of their scrap bin. ;)

I am not color blind, but I might as well be in my house. NOBODY wins a color argument with my honey. A total no win situation. She's a quilter and know a couple hundred colors by name!

Good looking bar stools. They look good and I am absolutely certain that they match something else in the room/house.

Got a question for you. I noticed that you had 10 curved pieces in various pictures. The final result seems to be 4 bar stools (using 8 of those curved pieces). That would mean one of two things. a) You have a fifth bar stool someplace hiding. (a backup, maybe?) Or b), you used a belt and suspenders approach and cut a couple extra pieces just in case Murphy paid you a visit. Am I close or is there a mysterious third reason? :)

As far as the comfort factor goes, they are bar stools. If you sit long enough in them to get uncomfortable, pour yourself another drink! Comfort will be restored.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Ok, now that's a wierd one, doesn't she wet herself that way.

My male dog will squat like a female when there's no tree or other item to mark, and that will sometimes get his paw wet...

Reply to
woodchucker

It's not like she's doing a handstand, both hind feet simply levitate about

3 or 4" off the ground at the same time, and she pee's ... like it's no big deal. You got me ...

I'll try to snap a photo. It's pretty hilarious to see. Her back feet also sometimes come off the floor when she's eating.

Reply to
Swingman

Of course she did ... that what they live for, right.

Thanks. Yes they do ... Although what, I'm not sure.

When doing anything that requires a fussy, time consuming setup that may be difficult to duplicate, like identically curved and mortised components of a chair, I try to make at least two extra of each part. Having them on hand is the only way to insure you won't need them.

I dinged one back leg in the routing, and used one of the front legs for a project mortise "setup block", so am two legs short of having enough parts for another stool, But, I also have extra leg blank stock ... who knows when the muse strikes and I may need a stool for the shop.

Reply to
Swingman

I have never seen anything like that or heard of it. Maybe she has some circus dog in her. I bet it causes people to do a double take when they see that sort of thing.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

On 1/24/2013 12:36 AM, Lee Michaels wrote: have never seen anything like that or heard of it. Maybe she has some

Apparently it is not all that unusual:

is not near the exhibitionist this pup is, she's downright dainty about it; and she doesn't move, just stands in one spot. Class act.

(must be related to that gal in school, pretty good looking country girl, but not a class act, who would bet you she could pee higher on a tree than you could if you didn't use your hands ... she could!) ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Houston's a little out of my usual orbit. I listened to a couple of the music samples by the way. Sounds good. Have you ever thought to combine your interests and build yourself a bass?

I found a couple of intersection points between your repertoire and my informal "life list" by the way. Some years (decades?) back I played a dozen or so gigs a year with a group that did "Sugar Moon" and "Miles and Miles of Texas". They did a pretty eclectic mix of styles and didn't exactly have the proper lineup for Western Swing, but it was fun nonetheless. A piano player can afford to be pretty active in that sort of material, especially when there's no fiddle player to step on his uh, fingers. :)

Reply to
Greg Guarino

When my main axe remains, to this day, a '61 Fender Jazz ... why would I want to do that? :)

aside, nothing about building a musical instrument of any kind has ever appealed to me. Although I am totally impressed with violin makers and mandolin luthiers, if nothing else but for the _size_ of their projects ... which becomes more appealing which each passing day. :)

Reply to
Swingman

Hey, you know you guys are all wearing the same shirt, right? :-p

Turner and I have had a go at building drums, including the shells. His are particularly exquisite. It's really a labor of love, because after all the time and effort involved, you would have to charge about $1k to make any profit and very few people are interested in a snare drum that costs that much.... unless it's from the 20's and all you can to is look at it. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

On the festival circuit, here and in Europe, a certain uniformity commands bigger bucks. That being the case, individuality can be more profitably expressed in boots and belt buckles. :)

Reply to
Swingman

I've seen that ... some beautiful work!

It's can also be all about the sound ... I know some guys who will spend what it takes to get that "holy grail of sound" snare for their particular music, especially if it records well.

I had an old, originally cheap, "Ringo Star" kit as the house kit the first studio I built, and later down through the years either had to turn down offers daily, or keep an eye out that it didn't grow legs. Both the snare and the kick (with rock dot), recorded at 30ips on 2" tape, would punch a hole in your chest on playback .... never could duplicate that sound with any other kit, despite years of trying.

Then, along came digital, and ProTools ... :(

Reply to
Swingman

is different I guess. Our bass player is more promiscuous; his arsenal hovers at around 25 instruments. And unlike many "collectors", he plays them all. He used to routinely bring two to each gig, switching off between sets. He usually only carries one these days though. Age, I suppose. He's got a prized sixty-something Jazz as well, but it's hard to say that he has a clear favorite.

Again, everyone is different. A lot of people would question why you spend dozens of hours making bar stools when perfectly nice ones are available for purchase.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

is different I guess. Our bass player is more promiscuous; his arsenal hovers at around 25 instruments. And unlike many "collectors", he plays them all. He used to routinely bring two to each gig, switching off between sets. He usually only carries one these days though. Age, I suppose. He's got a prized sixty-something Jazz as well, but it's hard to say that he has a clear favorite.

Again, everyone is different. A lot of people would question why you spend dozens of hours making bar stools when perfectly nice ones are available for purchase.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

"boots and belt buckles" lmao! I think you just wrote a country song. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Considering that, by definition, 50% of all people fall on the low side of the bell curve with respect to many abilities, what "a lot of people would question" has never been of any concern to me whatsoever.

And, without exception, everything that I design and build is custom in all aspects, no one else has it, and it is not available for purchase.

Which is why those same "lots of people" pay me, and other folks around here like Leon, to do the same for them ... and because they can't. :)

Reply to
Swingman

Well, to do that you'd have to throw in a hat ... but that's part of the uniform. :)

Reply to
Swingman