I'm with you, that sounds like a lot of money.
Now days, it would have been three or four
times that (SWAG) to have it done for you.
You got off easy, by doing your own work.
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
We have a lanai off our master bedroom that opens onto a walled garden.
There are two arches, each about 66" x 82", for passage from lanai to
Originally, we intended to have those arches remain open but the mud daubers
to build on the lanai so I decided to enclose the arches with French
screen doors. The lanai faces east and the summer morning sun is fierce
here in Florida so the secondary reason was to diminish the sunlight.
My total costs for both pairs was a bit over $550. Of that, $275 was for
lumber (rough); the next biggest cost - about $90 -was for screening
materials (7/16 x 1" aluminum channel material (set into dados in rails &
stiles), the rest was for hinges, locks, surface bolts, some ply for a
bending jig, door closers, weather strip material, paint, etc.
That seemed kinda much to me so I just Googled a few places to see what I
could have bought them for. I'm glad I made them myself...prices ranged
from about $400-$979. And that was just the doors. At one place - the $979
place - having them pre-hung doubled the price.
Admittedly, everything seems high to me now but I am semi-stuck in the past.
What do you think, was $550 about right?
Here are a couple of pix...
One set of doors
Close-up of screen channel...
As long as I'm posting, I might as well expound on some of the difficulties
encountered. The primary one was that the masonry arches were not
symmetrical; nor were they plumb. Hell, they weren't even symmetrical side
to side; i.e., the short side on each of a door pair was different. That
means I couldn't just measure the space to fill and build a door X4 to fit,
had to make each one individually. A pain.
The lanai was tiled, did it years ago. I wanted the doors to abut something
on all edges to help deter insects. That meant I had to cut down a strip of
tile about 6" wide - concrete under it too - then retile so I had about a
3/4" drop for the door to close against. I could have avoided that by using
door sweeps; if I had it to do over I might do that. Nah, better this way
Click to see the full signature.