Replacing rotted basement window stool (sill)...

The window stool of one of our basement windows is rotted and I have a couple of questions on how to replace it.

The window frame itself is site built and is surrounded on 3 sides (U-shape) by a 150 year old stone-and-mortar foundation. The exterior side of the stool has rotted away so I need to replace it.

My plan is to knock out the rotten 2-by-X stool and replace it with new materials.

Questions:

- Should I use pressure treated 2-by-X or is it OK to just use primed and painted ordinary stock?

- If I do use pressure treated stock (ACQ probably), can I paint it and if so what special preparation (if any) is required? (one guy at the local borg store said I need to wait 3 months for the wood to dry before painting)

- What do I use to secure the new 2-by-X stool to the foundation? I would prefer not to have to nail or drill into the old rock foundation. Is there a glue, caulk, or foam that will do the trick of both sealing and securing the stool to an obviously irregular stone masonry surface? (I could add a little mortar to cover any gross imperfections)

- Anything else I need to worry about?

Thanks!

Reply to
blueman

i would use pressure treated. another option would be cedar.

pressure treated can be painted just like any wood. it is true that if it is soaking wet (as it often is) it need to dry. that would be the advantage of using cedar...it usually comes dry.

you could probably use a construction adhesive like liquid nails or similar.

Reply to
marson

Reply to
Jim Wheeler