plans for mission or shaker bar stool?

hi,

I have googled unsucessfully for plans for a mission or shaker style bar stool. if anyone can post me a link, I would be most appreciative....

thanks,

david

Reply to
david

A couple minutes Googling, could only find one though:

here:
I would just make my own plans (or just take a story stick to a billiards shop). These stools are just rectangles, no worries about leg splay angles or anything.

-Mike

david wrote:

Reply to
Mike Reed

thanks for the post...I did find that one...the stools are for an island countertop...I am thinking I want a back on the stool, and maybe have the seat swivel, too.

david

Mike Reed wrote:

Reply to
david

hey dav,

I recall seeing a barstool plan online I just can't find it. While searching I found this link

They are selling the furniture pieces but if you are handy with drawing your own plans from pictures, these may inspire you. Woodwork Safely, Jim Barry

WoodchuckCanuck

The image of a bunch of Shakers and monks bellied up to the bar on stools is, well -- irresistable.

--RC

Projects expand to fill the clamps available -- plus 20 percent

Reply to
rcook5

Fri, Dec 17, 2004, 10:40pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com (david) claims he wants: hi, I have googled unsucessfully for plans for a mission or shaker style bar stool.

Shaker? Bar stool? No such animal. the Shakers either stood at the bar, or sat at tables.

JOAT Ask any question you please of the Gods. They do not have to answer.

- Ko'a Orto'o, Gnomic Utterances, II xvi

Reply to
J T

thanks, kinda what I was thinking...I have never made a chair yet, I figure it is somewhat technical...I like the building aspect of projects, design is not one of my strong suits. fortunatly, mission/shaker is simple by nature...may be I need to just dive into it...

I have been full time renovating and adding on to our house for the past year, mostly by myself (subbed out the drywall, plumbing, etc)...about half done with the kitchen cabinets, and still have 2-3 months work left. I hate to buy furniture I think I can make, but I don't like to keep seeing "the finish line" continually receding into the distance, either! I know there are worse problems to be faced with: when I'm done it will be time to get a real job, yikes!

david

JGS wrote:

Reply to
david

Hey David,

Just because Shaker's didn't have barstools doesn't mean you can't have a shaker-style barstool. After all, that was your original request...to have a shaker style piece. Feel free to take the Shaker influence to whatever you are building. Its simplicity in design and construction will help you build your confidence in furniture making...while at the same time creating your own original furniture pieces. Like you said, "...just dive into it..."

You may also discover that there is no finish line. :-) There's always another project on the drawing board or honey-do-list. Woodwork Safely, Jim Barry

WoodchuckCanuck

If you can view Frank Klausz's video on mortise and tenon joints, you will be encouraged to do it. :-)

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

What took you so long? :-)

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

Or, maybe that is why there are so few plans -- not much call for a bar stool at the mission.

Reply to
igor

On 18 Dec 2004 05:20:49 -0800, "WoodchuckCanuck" calmly ranted:

Right, and put it next to the Amish generator and the Luddite satellite-feed for your computer. It'll fit right in. ;)

-- Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven. Gee, ain't religion GREAT?

Sin-free Website Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Chairs are really hard. Stools though are easy. The difference is the leg length and the number of supports you can squeeze in. a chair has legs that are cantilevered from a single base and have only a single rail, if that. This is a tricky bit of engineering wodwork. A stool, particularly the very tall sorts for bars or billiard rooms, uses multiple stretchers.

Shakers did have several tall "bar stools", including those with revolving tops, although they didn't term them that. A "Craftsman" bar stool is quite easy to design too - take one of the Stuart-style upholstered chairs with the stiff leather upholstery and simply make it taller.

Reply to
Andy Dingley