eWoodShop - Mission Bar Stool - project start?

Moving off a far distant, furthermost back burner, and toward a back burner closer to the front, is a personal bar stool project:

buying project wood is usually a sure sign that a project will be started in earnest, and finished (I have never not finished a project started), there is only enough wood in the photo to make the legs for two, of four anticipated, bar stools (on this visit there was not enough _suitable_ white oak, in stock at this particular hardwood lumber supplier, to purchase any more than what you see here).

With some species of domestic lumber becoming harder to find, and their high prices these days, it is damned nigh impossible to compete with "factory made" tables and chairs ... AAMOF, it is highly probable that one would save money by going to Stickley, or The Amish Craftsman, and just buying the damned things ... that is if some of us weren't so stubborn.

What the hell, you only live once ...

Reply to
Swingman

Cool design!

If it makes you feel any better, I looked pretty closely at some Mission style Stickley furniture at Lewis Shanks Furniture 6~7 years ago and while it looks like pretty from the "sell side" the back sides of the chests had a MUCH less than desirable look. Inside the drawers were not impressive either.

Reply to
Leon

If you'll be trick or treating in my neighborhood, I could unload some whit= e oak on you. I've never worked with WO and, 2 yrs ago, I inherited quite = a bit of it.... it's just stacked there waiting for a/someone's project to = come along. Your bar stools look like a neat project.

Yesterday, I went out to the farm and started tearing down an old cypress h= ouse. Got the roof off. The roof rafters seems to have once been hand hew= n beams, later sawn into rafters. The cross boards, for attaching the orig= inal wooden shingles, are split boards, rather than sawn. Unusual lumber a= nd should make for some nice rustic pieces. Will go back out this morning = to salvage more - ceiling joists, wall boards (1X stock) and hopefully floo= ring and floor joists. Tommorrow (Monday), the area will be dozed for expa= nding the rice fields, so we'll need to work fast, today.

On a sad note: The neighboring farmer, while harvesting his cotton, his co= tton picker exploded (several explosions) and caught fire. Never like to s= ee a neighbor have those kinds of accidents. Initial, I wasn't aware of th= e problem, a tree line was between us, so not sure if the driver was injure= d.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

If you'll be trick or treating in my neighborhood, I could unload some white oak on you. I've never worked with WO and, 2 yrs ago, I inherited quite a bit of it.... it's just stacked there waiting for a/someone's project to come along. Your bar stools look like a neat project.

----------------------------------------------------------------- Machine a piece of that white oak, especially quarter sawn, then apply some boiled linseed oil cut with some turps.

You can also use mineral spirits, I just like the smell of turps.

Wait a couple of days before rubbing out.

Might surprize yourself.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Amazing what just sanding and applying shellac will do with QS oak of any kind ... look at the _insides_ of these QS red oak drawer sides, nothing but a shellac topocoat:

Swingman

blonde bug spit for my own use (preferring clearcoats on everything), but for an A&C piece, I'd probably have selected a garnet shellac to blend with the outer color. "Porque you no stain the drawer pieces, too, señor?" asked the cat.

-- It is easier to fool people than it is to convince people that they have been fooled. --Mark Twain

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Amber ... Right outta the Binsser can, cut to 1 1/2lb.

Reply to
Swingman

I'll have to try some BLO and shellac on a sample piece of white oak.

Last (red) oak project I did was probably 20-25 yrs ago, this chair

don't recall what I put on it. This chair, at Mom's house, is a favorite at the family reunions.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Gorgeous!

Reply to
Swingman

Thassum yella shit, Maynard. But you don't have to worry, do you? You're color-blonde.

-- It is easier to fool people than it is to convince people that they have been fooled. --Mark Twain

Reply to
Larry Jaques

the family reunions.

Why are the armrests shaped differently, Sonny?

-- It is easier to fool people than it is to convince people that they have been fooled. --Mark Twain

Reply to
Larry Jaques

They are both the same, tilted about 15=B0 or so. I experimented with this= rocker, for Mom's large front porch. I always liked sitting out there, re= laxing. I was trying this design. It works great, except when you have a = cup of coffee or other drink. You can't simply rest the cup on the arm, as= with a straight armrest. Folks are impressed with the look and the seatin= g is really comfortable, but the armrest function is lacking because of the= tilt. You have to "guard" any drink you have. I do have another chair, i= n the works, and these armrests will not be tilted. =20

BTW, the seat design is very similar to a porch swing seat, it just has "le= gs" added to it. And this is also the basic seat design of the child's lov= eseat rockers I've made for school, etc. fund raisers.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I guess the angle of the shot prevents me from seeing the notch on the right arm you have on the left arm. But it looked like the left had a circular and end while the right had a convex curved oval end. Bad perspective from a single shot, I guess.

sitting out there, relaxing. I was trying this design. It works great, except when you have a cup of coffee or other drink. You can't simply rest the cup on the arm, as with a straight armrest. Folks are impressed with the look and the seating is really comfortable, but the armrest function is lacking because of the tilt. You have to "guard" any drink you have. I do have another chair, in the works, and these armrests will not be tilted.

Hey, a drink holder bolted to the bottom of either armrest would be just the ticket, I'd think.

added to it. And this is also the basic seat design of the child's loveseat rockers I've made for school, etc. fund raisers.

It's a nice design. How comfy is it?

-- It is easier to fool people than it is to convince people that they have been fooled. --Mark Twain

Reply to
Larry Jaques

arm you have on the left arm. But it looked like the left had a circular and end while the right had a convex curved oval end.

Not sure what notch you're speaking of, but I'll take detail pics of the whole chair next time I visit, possibly today, more likely tommorrow.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Swingman

Reply to
Dave

Swingman wrote in news:LsidnZobY8_RmSHNnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

+1! How did you do that?
Reply to
Han

Not bent, band saw and pattern bit on a router table:

Swingman

How did I do what? ;)

If you mean those bevels ... simple: a Jig and a miter saw.

ALWAYS think JIG!

(Basically, there is nothing that can't be done if you can imagenineer a jig to do it). :)

Reply to
Swingman

well for him. His pictures really make the spaces look huge.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M