Perhaps seperate group for INSPIRATION posts.

There are quite a few messages posted with INSPIRATION in the title and most seem to be posted by the same person. The INSPIRATION in the title certaily makes them easy to read/ignore at the readers choice but there are still a lot of them.

Of the ones that I have looked at, most are not my cup of tea but I respect the poster's right to post them as they are certainly on-topic. I am just wondering if it might not be a good idea to setup a seperate group/list for these types of posts (Similar to ABPW for pics).

Thoughts anyone? JOAT, thoughts?

Again, not suggesting NOT to post them but perhaps have a central place to put them as opposed to the larger group.

Reply to
larrygfox

Yes, and they're all from the same person, with the same word in the subject. Simple to configure to ignore in any good newsreader if that's your preference.

So, let me get this straight. You agree that they're on-topic, you point out that they are consistantly marked, and you want him to go away with them? Wouldn't it be easier to ignore them, either manually or programmatically? If your newsreader doesn't support ignoring any message with a particular word in the headers, or a particular sender, get a better one.

JOAT, if you'd like some webspace to put your links, in addition to posting them here, I'll get you set up.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I like the way that JOAT does his internet search results - easy to pass by, but easy to identify the ones that might hold something of interest to me. And I have even benefited from a few of them in finding something that was of use to me, or maybe just enjoying a comment that JOAT may have posted with the link. Since it doesn't cost anything to have them here, and they are so well labeled, I am certainly in favor of JOAT continuing to post here, and thank him for doing so.

Fred Bearman Port Huron, Michigan

Reply to
Fred

I vote for JOAT to stick around and keep posting here. I can read or ignore as I please thanks to the clear subject lines.

Reply to
Andy

I don't - and perhaps others - don't use a traditional newsreader app but browse via a web browser (groups.google.com). I have seen posts in the past where people comment on the volume of messages and bandwidth concerns so I don't see why this question is so unusual. I am NOT attacking him or his posts simply asking - what I thought - was a reasonable question.

Yes

Yes

NO!!

programmatically? It IS fairly easy to ignore them but I was mearly asking if perhaps we should consider creating a dedicated group/list for them as there are quite a few of them.

And I think the site would get traffic.

Reply to
larrygfox

So because of your choice of a limited newsreading tool (in this case, web-based), you want him to change how he's doing things, for you.

Seems to me that telling him to go to a different group is equivalent to "go away with them".

This fits any definition of "go away" that I can think of.

Great. And I'm glad he posts them here as well. I'm sorry, but I don't see how your choice of a piss-poor interface to read Usenet should dictate that a useful resource is made less useful for everyone.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Yeah... what he said. It's not JOAT's fault you can't run a normal newsreader.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Dave, wow - I apologize that I have very clearly offended you on this one. However, I think that you are missing my point. I mean NO ill-will towards him and I am not asking him to change what he does for me (regardelss of my choice of news interface) but decided to post a question to the group for consideration. Again, I mearly asked what I thought was a reasonable question to the broader group. The posts so far have been overwhelmingly in favor of his continuing to post his inspiration messages here. Great, the question I asked appears to have been aswered. As far as my asking HIM to go away - not the case at all. He posts other things besides the inspiration posts to this group just like everyone else does.

And to address your point of "...how your choice of a piss-poor interface to read Usenet should dictate that a useful resource is made less useful for everyone.." - I actually think another newsgroup for THIS TYPE OF POST (not just posts from this person) would make the resource more useful to everyone as it would be more easily searchable etc.

Reply to
larrygfox

I don't think we need another group for this type of post. They are as "on topic" as you can get to a woodworking newsgroup so why not keep them here. I don't see bandwidth as an issue because all you're getting in the subject line. Very little traffic there.

What JOAT could do to reduce the number of posts would be to do an 'Inspiration' post and list all the stuff he finds in that one post. But, I'm not his momma so I can't tell him what to do. Just a thought. :-)

Bryan

Reply to
DamnYankee

Ditto.

Thanks, JOAT

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

I'm not _offended_, I'm boggled that someone would impose the results of their own poor choice of tools on a group of people.

But the thing you're proposing _is_ that he change what he's doing, and to not post them to the group.

So you just want him to go away with the INSPIRATION posts. Got it.

You can't google for the word INSPIRATION in rec.woodworking at groups.google.com? (hint: yes, you can. Trivially so. Just as it's trivial to ignore messages with that in the subject with any decent newsreader.)

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Hear! Hear! JOAT is as thoughtful as possible in using subject headers that allow the reader to decide whether to read. While the nature of the posts is a distinct subset (rec.woodworking.plans?) the volume is small enough to easily stay in the larger, on-topic group, and is too small, IMHO, to warrant a group of its own.

Reply to
alexy

You are new here aintcha. Maybe some suggestions after you see how this group works.

Reply to
Leon

Don't be so hard on Larryfox Dave. I doubt he is out to get your job.

Reply to
Leon

Dave tends to like to be the one that makes these type suggestions and you apparently beat him to it.

Reply to
Leon

Dave, at this point I think we are arguing semantics instead of substance. Might I suggest that we either aggree to disagree or take the discussion private (email in header is real). I would welcome the opportunity to continue if you like.

I DO know how to use Google, I DO know that there are newsreaders out there that filter, I DO NOT want the inspiration posts to go away entirely I was just inquiring about moving/grouping them is all.

Reply to
larrygfox

Yes, apparently we have different meanings in mind of how "go away" is or is not the same as "don't do it here". I can't see much point in continuing the conversation either.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

not so new but sure did step in the proverbial pile with this one. :-)

Reply to
larrygfox

Not to worry - you just had a run in with someone who has to have a comment on just about every post made here. And you caught him on a good day.....;-)

Reply to
BobS