Blanket Chest Hinge

Am building a blanket chest 46" by 28". Want the top to be 48" by 30" therefore giving me a 1" overhang on all four sides. The customer insists the overhang be on all four sides. Cannot think of what kind of hinge to use. She also would like the hinge to not be visible when top is closed. Is this possible? If so, any recommendations for a hinge that would let the top open to about 100 degrees. Thanks.

Vic.H

Reply to
victorj

Build up the backwall of the lid by enough that you can use a standard hinge of your choosing.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca dropped this bit of wisdom:

Concealed Lid Hinges =

used for bench lids, hampers and chest lids, these surface-mount = hinges don't require boring holes or extra mounting plates. They open = and hold at 90=B0, and are 2-3/4" high by 3-1/8" long in the closed = position. For use with lids up to 1" thick.=20

Nickel-plated steel. Sold in pairs. Requires #6 screws (not included).

------

or Soss=AE Invisible Hinges

many variables for easy amplification

------------- =20 Here is a pointer to the "hinge" index

D Q

Reply to
PDQ

To the OP, you've got a couple obvious options:

1) Mortise standard hinges in to the top of the back wall and the underside of the lid. If you push the hinges back a bit so the pivot point is outside the box, you'll be able to open past 90 degrees. This might benefit from building up the wall thickness a bit on the inside of the box for strength. 2) Same as above, but with no-mortise hinges. With an overhang at the back these should give close to your requested 100 degrees.

Chris Friesen

I made them for my blanket chest. they show but they are of the same wood and look good. my top did not ovrehang the back but a notch in the top to accept the hinges would work. I'll post some pics to ABPW.

skeez

Reply to
skeez

=20> Those won't work with an overhang at the back.

SNIP

=20>=20> Chris

Agreed about the inner-hung hinge - it was merely a suggestion as to the = kind of hinge to persue. Might even be able to accomplish this with an = European hinge.

As to your suggestion, the barrel (?) would show and the lady "would = like the hinge to not be visible when top is closed". Of course, = though, maybe the 1" overhang would be sufficient to "hide" the hinge.

I know there is a variety of barrel hinge that must be mortised into the = wall of the chest. It would not be visible but I do not know if the 1" = overhang could be accommodated. Couldn't find a sample either.

P D Q

Reply to
PDQ

In news:hjdbkn$99j$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org, PDQ dropped this bit of wisdom:

>=20>> Those won't work with an overhang at the back.

>=20>>=20>> Chris

Here I am answering myself.

Chris, your rebuttal sent me back to some filed magazines.

The Nov 2009 issue of Wood (Issue 194) contains a write-up on a blanket = chest which has a 7/8 inch overhang. Torsion hinges by Rockler - = "Lid-Stay Torsion Hinge Lid Support " would appear to be the answer. = They are expensive but they do hold a lid in any position fron closed to = full open.

D Q

Reply to
PDQ

This kind of hings should work.

Stanaitis

---------------------------

snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca wrote:

Reply to
spaco

If so, any recommendations for a hinge that would let the top open to about 100 degrees. Thanks.

Vic.H

Just use the best grade of "piano hinge" you can find. There certainly is a generous selection available from McMaster-Carr. Attach the hinge to the bottom of the top and the back/outside of the rearwall. Use a beveled spacer between the rear wall and the hinge to allow the 100 degree opening. Emperically determine the necessary screw length. You might also consider having the pivot offset sufficiently to allow the

100 degree opening specification. A good metal man can easily do this. Where I live this would be routine at the blacksmith I frequent. Put all the screws in.

Also consider using those internal folding arms/braces or whatever they are called.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

The Rockler hinges seem designed for your project:

was thinking of something like 170=B0 Modul Hinges
(A.170=B0 Overlay) but had no idea they would be so pricey! The Rockler looks like the best choice - elegant!

On the ROCKLER page, they show a piano hinge approach using a "toy box" lid support set. But that is likely to be even more expensive as no where as neat.

The Fold Back Hinges at

like they could be "adjusted" with a sledge hammer to accomplish the job in the manner of the Nathans Forge hinge at
by moving the pivot point outside of the carcass. Less $$, but no tension/ torsion.

Be sure to post your solution - picture maybe - let us know how you solved the problem.

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

"not be visible when top is closed."

I can't see how this can be done w/o moving the pivot outside the carcass (where it can be seen - of one get down on the floor, and looks up at the back of the chest when the lid is closed.

You might want to clarify this with the customer - From which perspectives do you expect the hinge to be "hidden?"

When the chest is closed, with a 1" over hang all around and the chest on the floor, I can't see anything at the juncture of the top edges of the carcass and lid. Is the customer unusually short? (;

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

the lid open to 90 degrees, much less 100 - 110 and downloaded the installation sheet which calls for an 11/16 inch overlay (using their Jig It).

would suggest calling them to see if it will open to 100 degrees and if there is any reason why a 1-inch overlay would NOT work.

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

Any kids/grandkids in the house? Protect yourself against lawsuit with a soft closing, child safety lid stay.

Can't imagine why anyone would insist on a blanket chest opening 100 degrees ... it is simply not necessary if it is indeed a "blanket" chest, AND you will want the above safety device to work properly in any event?

Time for a heart to heart talk on the realities of the 21st century with the customer? Certainly worth a consideration.

YTMMV ...

Reply to
Swingman

Swingman wrote in news:HuadnXizAsogkMbWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I agree that safety concerns are very important. I made this pineywood blanket chest about 15 or so years ago. Shellac and many layers of pastewax. Never felt the need for upkeep of the finish. One major move via our own Caravan (LI to Jersey). Pictures to come on apbw. Overall dimensions: ~23x46x31 1/2 inch (D/W/H), including overhang and "handles". Hinges by El Cheapo, just let in. Quilts by better half.

Reply to
Han

Thanks for all the suggestions on what hinge to use. Managed to drive to a Lee Valley store and had a look at their display of hinges. Decide to use the following

hinge while pivoting also lifts up 1 5/8". With this lift I can have a 7/8" overhang of the lid and when it is open there is a 1/8" space between the top and side. It also has an adjusting screw which if replaced with a longer one lets you adjust the hinge to open to 92 degrees instead of the full 175 degrees. Once again thanks, it nice to know there are other options as well. And yes, I will be using soft close lid stays.

Vic H.

Reply to
heretoday

It is an 'unconventional' use for them, but a "SOSS invisible' hinge" _would_ give you a 90 {plus a little bit} degree opening of an overhanging lid. You'd need to add soft-close stays, and, probably, chains, or similar restraints against he lid opening too far.

Oh yeah, they *are* _totally_ invisible when the lid is closed. No evidence of them either on the outside, _or_ the inside.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi