Small but fun project.

I have been playing with some concepts. The client wanted an oriental look. I put together a proposal in CAD which gave me my dims and costs. I found some bamboo pictures and turned one into a bumpmap. I then created a toolpath and milled some of the bumpmap into some cherry and built this little vanity. With the quartz top and undermounted porcelain bowl, it became a nice package. The interior decorator chose the tile and wall paper/paint scheme. I got to do the black wash and lacquer. With some leftovers, I created the mirror.

Robatoy

Max

Reply to
Max

Reply to
-MIKE-

surprised they didn't opt for a matching bamboo back splash. The tile doesn't quite do it for me.

You know you're supposed to (yes, it's required by law that covers any international exchange of information and vanity) say how much you charged for your services. It's not me - blame it on Homeland Security. Custom computer carving, interior decorator...I'm guessing they had a budget.

RicodJour

Me neither. It's a 'decorator thing'.

The top was a remnant, the bowl off-shore, tap was their problem, so was the paint and tile. The client commissioned ,many projects over the years and always compensated me properly.

Reply to
Robatoy

I had to figure it out, hence the delay in answering your question re cost. The mirror was $ 350.00, the rest $ 1800.00 (Not including tap, paint/ paper/wallsponge and all that rot. That was the decorator's dept.)

Reply to
Robatoy

New guy here, still working on getting his dado joints to look tight..

Did I understand this properly? {{I found some bamboo pictures and turned one into a bumpmap. I then created a toolpath and milled some of the bumpmap into some cherry}}

You took a PICTURE of bamboo and got some CNC type machine to mill another species so that it looks like the picture?

Reply to
jbry3

He put together a PROPOSAL, using a CAD program, for a client so that she could see what the design looked like in REAL life.

He apparently did such a _realistic_ job in the above PRESENTATION that he got the job.

Then showed us pictures of the process, from design to finished project.

Simple ... ya just gotta understand Canuck! :)

Reply to
Swingman

Oh. good.

I know I'm over my head with some of these guys here, but that was just tooooo much.

Reply to
jbry3

I made the CAD drawing for my own purposes, but threw some paint and textures at it to give the client a hint as to where I was going with this.

The picture (grey scale) of the bamboo was reversed (inverted) in PhotoShop and contrast and brightness adjusted so that Vectric Aspire could use it as a bump-map. A bumpmap is an image where the 'high' of a 3D machining toolpath is white and black is the 'low' of the 3D machining toolpath. The CNC then machines into a slab of cherry (in this case) the 3D image staying within the thickness parameters.

Nope, you're still problems with your Canuck/Texas translator. :-)

I already had the job. The client has many pieces of mine in her house. An entire bedroom set with armoire/entertainment centre, a complete kitchen and Corian top.

*I* don't think it is a _realistic_ presentation at all. As a matter of fact, one could do this level of presentation in SketchUp. :-]

Translator seems to be working again.

Reply to
Robatoy

If you mean "did I use the picture of the bamboo as a basis for a toolpath for my CNC?" you'd be correct. If you go to Vectric's website and look at the Aspire feature set, you will find it. A toolpath could cut the image of Swingman's nose out of aluminum, if, for some unknown reason, I decided I would want to.

Reply to
Robatoy

Hell, close enough for what passes for science today!

Reply to
Swingman

So I *did* read it correctly.

Hmmm..... {feeling the slight slop in the floating panel of the cabinet I've been a couple months building now}, is there a Newsnet group for the rest of us?

Reply to
jbry3

Oh fer-sure. And, thank you. The "rest of us" comment probably should've had one of those cutely winkycons behind it. I've been lurking here for months but that machining cherry-into-bamboo thing floored me! Just the sheer audacity of the thought--

I've built maybe half a dozen furniture projects in-- oh, like, the past 20 years... in my little 8x15 under-the-stairs shop. I dream of a real table saw some nights.... ;-}}

Reply to
jbry3

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 17:37:40 -0500, the infamous Robatoy scrawled the following:

the knuckles.

Very creative, Toy.

I love that goldy-red countertop. Wild! Brand and color?

-- We either make ourselves happy or miserable. The amount of work is the same. -Carlos Castaneda, mystic and author (1925-1998) -------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I figured the wall would hold up the back.

I'm not sure I follow you here. =A0

Why thank you, C-less. :-)=A0

That red is

Red. The 'goldy' look is a incandescent light-balance issue.

Reply to
Robatoy

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 19:16:01 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy scrawled the following:

Your bump map was only 3D in 2 dimensions. Bamboo is curved, but your node were flat on top. Note the nodes directly in line with the top of the door pulls in wong2. The top of the nodes form rectangles which are flat on top.

flip the top pic sideways and compare it to your finished bump map. See the curve on the nodes in real bamboo? It's too bad your bump map couldn't simulate that portion, too, is what I was saying. Close, but no cigar.

Jewelcome.

Ooh, the Mystic Blue is hot, too.

So, how fast do you go through router bits when cutting that crap with the CNC, anyway?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Goodness, no. I don't do big cuts in quartz on my CNC. That takes 10 HP, $ 3000.00 diamond bit-sets, a LOT of water and water treatment facilities. Not only way out my league financially, but also not even close to my radar screen. I'd need a forklift, loading dock, a beam saw etc.

Reply to
Robatoy

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 22:37:51 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy scrawled the following:

So what were you cutting with the CNC? The lighthouse was made of what? I thought it was a stone cutting. I know this bamboo cut was cherry.

Reply to
Larry Jaques