Small bathroom project

Since I 'retired' by selling my countertop division, Angela somehow thought it meant room/time for some projects around the house:

Small bathroom. Entertainment centre for flatscreen etc. Break out and redo the bar in family room (Okay, I can get my head around that one). The foyer.

So here we go: New cabinets for the bathroom, it's just a small one, so I took it down to the studs, new tub, floor, Corian shower walls, new plumbing, tore out an old window replaced it with glass blocks, put in a much better ventilation system with timer and rewired for new lights. Cabinets are built and installed but I couldn't quite decide on the doors and drawer fronts. Then it hit me. Corian has this new series of colours called Illumination. This is the one I picked:

am setting this as a panel in a frame made of cherry which I will stain almost to a black/red, here's a drawer front in process:
all is said and done, it is supposed to look like this:
countertop with undermounted sink is this already fabricated:
will be a finished shot in a week or so.

and yes, I said I was staining cherry *chin out* "what of it, eh?" =0)

Reply to
Robatoy

inyurl.com/258rz4h

That's some seriously cool stuff. Are you planning on installing lights inside the cabinets? Details, man!

Oh, and as far as staining the cherry...it's dead, it'll never know the difference.

RicodJour

Max

Reply to
Max

inyurl.com/258rz4h

I forgot to post the link to the cabinet above the toilet:

Robatoy

Hmmm, code requires a toilet have 15" clearance from the centerline on each side. Judging from the floor tile in that picture - I'm assuming they're the standard 12" tile - it looks more like 24" overall. Is it really that tight?

RicodJour

toilet:

> Hmmm, code requires a toilet have 15" clearance from the centerline on

Do you know _why_ the code calls for 15" clearance on either side? I'm not calling the code into question, I'm just wondering what the reason is.

Reply to
Steve Turner

rl.com/2fgt2c5

Reply to
Robatoy

As I've come to expect from you, those look flawless.

Were the chamfers done before or after assembly?

Reply to
-MIKE-

Those were done prior to assembly. The end chamfers of the rails were done by hand, the rest with a normal router clamped in a Triton SuperJaws. Once you get into the rhythm of operating a SuperJaws, there's really nothing like it. Ridgid and Rockwell have them as well. The chamfer on the outer perimeter was done after assembly.

Reply to
Robatoy

14 on one side, 13 on the other. Nobody in this house is big enough for that to be a problem.
Reply to
Robatoy

Reply to
anne watson

Yes, and when reaching for the valve, the plumber must not have to stretch so much that his plumber's crack causes an eclipse.

Reply to
Robatoy

You would not have asked "Why 15 inches", if you had walked through some of the public areas (Mall, stores, etc.) in the US. From observations I would say that 15" is not sufficient.

Reply to
knuttle

rl.com/2fgt2c5

one that would be most likely to influence me would be allowing enough room to reach around back and not have your elbow hit the wall. Or maybe they just took a spin on the arbitrary code wheel and it came up lucky 15.

RicodJour

Reply to
phorbin

Some piccies All done.

Forgive the colour imbalance, hand-held available light.

Robatoy

up'.)

Reply to
Robatoy

respect (and will pay for) the art, quality and craftsmanship of you piece, instead of going down to Pier1 for something that *looks* the part to the ignorant.

Reply to
-MIKE-

In this case, it was Angela who couldn't find anything she liked enough for us to buy. This is our upstairs bathroom. I have done jobs like this for other people, most don't get 'The Numbers'. $ 8 to 12 K isn't that abnormal for a 'down-to-the-studs' reno. Two sets of drains all the way to the stack. All new electrical. New window, new floor, new tub and toilet, new cabinets (custom) new top and undermount vanity, all new fixtures and all new ventilation. That stuff adds up in a hurry.

Pier 1 and places like that are great for ideas, but the executions of their 'ideas' usually suck canal water. Angela saw a japanese room divider and liked the look. I tried to replicate that parchment look with something that would stand up to the environment in a bathroom. The whole thing sortakinda worked backwards from there.

Reply to
Robatoy

You totally nailed that inspiration.

Reply to