New hobby. (woodworking related on many levels: building a bar.)

Project scope:

8 Apartments, to be fully renovated. Bar and restaurant on the Front Street side. Retail space and Tea-room on the Christina Street side. This building is a city block long and spans 2 addresses on two different streets, but are connected legally as one property. (Really nice when you start counting fire escapes etc.) My part is to build a bar with celtic carvings and architectural features. Signage outside with corbels and fluted columns with capitals and corniches. I am working from a bunch of photos from Ireland.

What it is now. These piccies were taken by Google Maps.

That is where the bar/restaurant will be.

This is the Christina Street entrance which will have 2 retail spaces.

is how far we got in 2 days..LOL
entire area is going through a resurrection with major money being spent on cultural stuff.

Up until last year, the difference between Downtown Sarnia and a bowl of yoghurt was that the yoghurt has an active, living culture.

More to come.

Reply to
Robatoy

m/33ysuf9That is where the bar/restaurant will be.

p://tinyurl.com/38uhyty

Last link should work better this way:

Robatoy

Reply to
-MIKE-

there's a lot of hidden detail under the paint.

Do you get free "drinking rights" for life?

RicodJour

"Robatoy" wrote

Or are you taking it off?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Smartypans!

That's NICE yellow. You'll see the whole statement when the signs and all that are in place. Lots of oranges and greens to come.

Reply to
Robatoy

Don't you OOPS me, mister! . . . Yeah, well, so I typed it in from memory....big mistake...LOL

Reply to
Robatoy

I saw your correction, as soon as I hit send. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Smartypans!

That's NICE yellow. You'll see the whole statement when the signs and all that are in place. Lots of oranges and greens to come.

Orange? And you said an "Irish" pub?

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

A hotbed of inactivity, wot?

-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch

Reply to
Larry Jaques

-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'm wondering how any sign he makes for that can compete with the new paint (blowme) job.

-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It kills me to look at it. Guaranteed there's multi-colored brick under the paint, and check out the pilasters running up the face of the building and on either side of each window. They've got this cool serpentine thing going on. The brickwork on that building is flipping art, and somebody _wallpapered_ over it! I'd use Peel Away Smart Strip and take it down to the original and then not have to worry about painting it again.

Roba - I realize you inherited it painted, but it strikes me the same way that you'd feel if someone painted over the celtic carvings you're planning to do on the bar. It's architectural sacrilege.

RicodJour

You wouldn't do well up here anyway. ;-}

Reply to
Robatoy

Perhaps, but some of the old ca1870 buildings around here are so unstable that the mortar and bricks themselves are eroding. Paint may be the only thing holding that building _up_!

-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Are you close to salt water and earth quakes?

Reply to
Robatoy

Surrounded by leftists under 400' of -50F snow? You're correct!

-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Within 50 miles of the ocean, with the coastal range in between. And we're in a quake area, but none has hit in eons.

The work I was doing on one such building was -inside-, though. They had me paint the disintegrating bricks and mortar with a thick, clearish emulsion. It reminded me of the lovely and popular polyurinestain products.

-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Funny how reality somehow stops at your border, huh? I have seen those weather maps on TV. 70=B0 in Detroit, 20=B0 in Windsor, with only a river separating them. Somewhere, I still have a picture of a Tennessee couple that crossed the border here in Sarnia, with skis on the roof of their station wagon .......in JULY!

Rome, Italy, 41, 54 N Northern California 41=B0 46'N Sarnia Latitude: 42=B0 58', North.

We can actually grow vegetables here!

Reply to
Robatoy

BTDT... We formed a consortium and renovated 6 store-fronts downtown Toronto. Same idea. Gutted most of them. Lead water lines, asbestos insulation FUN! Abatemen fees were staggering. (We did see that coming though, so no surprises) This place, however, won't even take a tapcon drill bit easily in the perfectly pointed mortar. No worries there. The wood around the windows is another story, but after doing a LOT of those in Rochester NY, I feel no intimidation by that problem. The brick inside needs to be cleaned and re-pointed in some areas. I love this kinda shit...

Reply to
Robatoy