Next bar building question.

Hi all,

I have been building a bar for my daughter and have reached anohter point where I need some assistance. This time it is about finishing.

Have any of you seen CSI:Miami? In their interrogation room they have a table that has a black mirror finish on it. That sucker is sooo black and sooo shiny. Anyway, that is what I want for the bar. I have two horizontal surfaces (the bar counter and the work surface) and several vertical surfaces (face frame, drawer fronts, and door fronts) that I would like to finish in this manner. The horizontal surfaces are MDF and the vertical surfaces are Poplar.

So the question is, how do I get that super black, super shiny finish?

I have thought about pressure laminate and that might be ok for the horizontal surfaces, but would not work on the vertical surfaces because of the "drawer pulls" that I intend to use (an under-cut groove across the faces).

The only other thing that I can think of would be black epoxy paint followed by a clear epoxy top coat (or two) over that, and then buff it out.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

Lacquer.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100
[...]

A shhet of Glass over black felt, really black, really glossy, with "depth", but with a problem at the edges. Also very durable.

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

I thought about the glass, but then I would have a problem with it matching everything else. I might still put glass on the two horizontal surfaces just for durability and cleanability if nothing else.

Thanks,

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

"MinWhacks has lacks, Lacquer is blacker."

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

If it is possible have the finished sprayed. My in-laws took an old coffee table to an auto body shop and had it sprayed with a Lexus Black. The finish is very shiny and deep and has held up supper.

Robert R.

Reply to
Robert Rushing

It might be worth a try to see if you can get in touch with the production designer--his name should be in the credits (might be "art director" or some such) and you should be able to get his contact information from imdb pro (pro is normally a pay service but there's a free trial or was last time I checked). On the other hand, much in cinema is "fool the eye" and the table that is shown might not be very durable.

Other things to consider--granite, black plate glass, or ordinary clear plate glass with the back painted black. Granite's going to be heavy and expensive, black plate glass I dunno. Odds are what they're actually using on the set is a piece of plexiglass with the back painted black, which is light, not horribly expensive, and would hold up fine in their use.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I don't know if I want to go to all of the trouble to contact the designer. I know the table could be anything from a $5000 original design to a piece of plywood on some boxes and then covered with black construction paper and glass. I just mentioned it because it has the look I want.

All of the things you mention would be good for the two horizontal surfaces, but not the vertical surfaces (face frame, drawer fronts, etc). I would prefer to use the same technique for both so they would match. So far, it seems like black laquer and/or epoxy paint.

Thanks,

Wayne

free

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

I help a friend remodeling a bar and we poured epoxy on the bartop and table tops. Superhard shiny surface. He laid some coins, pictures and stuff down and we poured over them. Drawer fronts and doors could be laid down to do this don't know about other verticle surfaces.

Reply to
William Krems

NoOne N Particular:

black laquer

Reply to
Mac Cool

I have been looking into the black lacquer, but can't find a good source on the Internet. Even DAGS, but probably just not using the right words. Seems like I get a lot of hits about automotive paint. Might go with the Epoxy solution.

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

Think "Piano".