Building on Sandy Soil

I'm looking at a piece of property for a building site in Western Wisconsin.

The soil survey maps defines it as 'tarr sand'

" The Tarr series consists of very deep, excessively drained soils formed in siliceous sandy pedisediment over siliceous sandy residuum from sandstone on stream terraces, hills, and pediments. 90% quartz. Permeability is rapid."

Plans are for a full basement built with ICFs. I'm a little concerned about the stability of this type of this sandy material for what I have in mind.

Any help would be appreciated.

Curly

Reply to
CurlyQue

Hi Curly, I built a house about 12 years ago for a fellow here in Northern Calif. on a "Sand Dune" It is a large 2 story, with 3 car garage. I do have pictures of the house, and have been there recently. The house seems to be fine.

The engineer architect designed a footing that was quite large and wide. It had additional rebar in the footing and more than a regular 2 story design. I actually had to build 2 forms for the concrete footing construction. One to keep the sand from filling the footing made out of inert material to be left in the pour.

As for a basement, there was none, and I suspect you would not have any problem with moisture since you will have good drainage being "sandy"

I believe the "Large Footprint" of the footing and the steel in the engineering of the footing made for a stable construction.

Reply to
jloomis

Thanks. I'll keep what you said in mind when I speak to a contractor.

Curly

Reply to
CurlyQue

As for the garage I would make sure that the walls were adequately water proofed, and there are many applications that will solve this. Moisture will "wick" in.......regardless of drainage, and like a sponge will absorb moisture and keep it there unless driven out by heat. So, a good water vapor barrier on the outside would be in line. jloomis

Reply to
jloomis

Was the structure designed by an engineer? Have you considered retaining an engineer to review the foundation? T

Reply to
tbasc

No.

Whatever it takes. I'm not looking to cut corners.

Curly

Reply to
CurlyQue

Ya know they make engineers for this stuff. T

Reply to
TonyG

Your safest bet would be to look around for a local civil engineer who will be familiar with the soils in your area. He or she can easily design/specify a footing and wall which will adequately support your structure, and take all the guesswork off your shoulders, a cheap investment with good return.

Good luck,

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Wye