building site levels

What is the easier / best way of setting levels on a building site these days ? E.g for brick walls, foundations etc., where a straight edge or long level is not sufficient ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

See-through plastic pipe with water in it?

Reply to
Mr Uncalled-For

Rotary laser level and a traveller (not the kind in an old van, a post with a base to keep it upright). Functionally equivalent to the traditional surveyors level and staff,but quicker to use and only requires one person.

Reply to
dom

water manometer is pretty good, or a theodolite.

I have used string, with a sightline along it and a long spirit level level.

Basically drive marked posts in and string string between the marks, and then use a level in the middle and a mate with a mallet.

Its near enough for building work.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If this is for your extension, then just transfer the level from your existing DPC to the new corners, and guage up and down from this. Mark it on a stake in the ground

You can use a 1200mm level (ie the one you should be buying to do the brickwork) and you will not be far out for an extension .

Just remember to reverse the level as you set out to cancel any inaccuraces - eg imagine one end of the level is A and the other B, then it will be A-B then B-A then A-B etc over the distance you are levelling

dg

Reply to
dg

I agree, although adding some Irn-Bru makes the level easier to see[1]. Reliable, accurate, works round corners, through walls (if you drill a hole in the wall for the hose), over hill and dale, needs no batteries, doesn't die when you tread on it.

Owain

[1] A wee tip from "Grand Designs" there.
Reply to
Owain

Still a water level. Easy, accurate, and it works over a longer range than most optical levels, unless you're very careful with them (vibration is your enemy here). It also avoids the need for an assistant. I like the IrnBru triick, so long as you don't have to drink the stuff! I just squirt a few drops from my fountain pen into each end - you only have to colour the last foot or so.

A Cowley level or Sitesquare (eBay) is a good optical level to use if you do go that way. A Sitesquare will also lay out a right angle corner for you. You'll need stadia rods and boning rods, but they're easily DIYed.

A projected spot laser will cost you at least 200 quid if you expect to use it outdoors, and it's a pain to use. They have their uses, but this isn't it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Water levels are amazingly good and incredibly simple to use. I use one when building decks, 100% accurate, 100% reliable, cheap to buy, no batteries, can be seen in all light conditions, works around corners. I think mine was £15 from Toolstation.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Irn-Bru tastes like wee? I know it's nasty, but really?

:o)

Reply to
Huge