Some pics of The Belfast Grande project

There will be 7 Extira panels flanking the pub's doorways:

will be a celtic cross in the main sign:
of the pubs is called the Red Fox:

The birth of the fox from a solid block of HDU

the finished, but not yet painted product.

Robatoy

Can it be that in all of Ireland there is nobody left who can carve a fox for a pub sign?

That even in Belfast people are so used to seeing CNC routered MDF in their public buildings that they may as well be in Disneyland or Las Vegas as in the heart of an ancient city?

That a celtic cross is reduced to a corporate logo for the sale of beer and bar meals?

It's all coming true, everything we have been warned about for years now. Weep, weep, bitter tears of self reproach. We could have stopped those bastards if we had had more courage.

Tim w

Reply to
Tim W

Sorry you feel that way. I have more of a sense of accomplishment.

And fly him over to do a whole bunch of architectural products for a reasonable price? This pub is in Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, we have no Irish carvers over here, just a bunch of hard working/drinking patrons who need their whistles wetted. I'm here to help them. I will also machine Fleur de Lis for our French drunks.

We are doing what we can to spread the historic Irish contribution to alcohol.... on a budget. To give those wayward Irish some sense of belonging in a foreign land.

No. It's there as a salute and recognition for a job well done of spreading Irish cheer around the world... something you may want to add to your list of things to do.

I bet you're a riot at parties too, eh? Get over it, dude... let it go... no sense in being depressed over some people having a few pints. Luring those homesick Irish into my trap to squeeze a few dollars out of them as they drown their sorrows because they miss the Old Country so much.

Reply to
Robatoy

like that, hmm?

running between shrubs to stay hidden, at a client's house one day last month. I was surprised to see them during the day and in the city, though that was a rural part. Cool aminals.

-- Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Reply to
Larry Jaques

[...]

[Tim w] LOL - I really got hold of the wrong end of that stick didn't I? Forgive me for thinking the Belfast Grande might have been in Belfast

- it actually _is_ a bit of disney/vegas retail theme pub elsewhere in america and that is totally fine and I am sure it is part of your culture and the kind of place you like to have in Canada.

I must have got up with a sore head thismorning, but I wish you well with it, sincerely.

Tim W

Reply to
Tim W

Robatoy wrote: ...

Do I read more into this than you're just working on the restore/remodel or is this part of your retirement venture(s), Rob?

Inquiring minds and all that rot, ya' know... :)

Reply to
dpb

If I recall correctly, it has something to do with introducing culture into a depressed part of Sarnia.

Apparently the cultural aspect has to do with a combination of Celtic symbols and the copious consumption of various fermented beverages.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

will they be serving sarnies with the beer?

Tim W

Reply to
Tim W

I'm sure the Irish will approve! ;-)

Reply to
Nova

Mostly remodelling and showcasing some architectural milling. After completion, the day-to-day will be left to others. If the place does well, I'll also do a little better.

Reply to
Robatoy

I wouldn't call it a depressed area. I call it an area with plenty of history that is currently performing below potential.

That pub will be more like a social networking place where one can relax and share recipes and quilting ideas.

That little bit of nonsense reminded me of a knitting club that took place at a school chum's grandmother's place. The women would start off knitting and gossiping as the rounds of brandywine soaked raisins increased in frequency. Before too long, the level of conversation would increase in volume and decrease in quality..LOL Before you knew it we all knew who was humping who and why.

Reply to
Robatoy

enews:4cdc092c$0$18248$c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com...

Not familiar with 'sarnies'...short for sardines?

Reply to
Robatoy

Not familiar with 'sarnies'...short for sardines?

Sandwiches. Us workmen are always stopping for a cuppa and a sarnie.

Tim W

Reply to
Tim W

------------------------ Neither am I, but what is a neighborhood joint with out pickled beets and hard boiled eggs in a jar containing the pickle liquor on the bar along with cards of "Blind Robbins"?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Ohhh sammieses!!!

Reply to
Robatoy

Yup! Nothing like crawling in the sack with the misses after 12 draught and a few pickled eggs. They just LOVE that kinda stuff!

Reply to
Robatoy

messagenews:4cdc092c$0$18248$c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com...

They really "pack 'em in there" in the Banana Belt, do they?

-- To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. -- J. K. Rowling

Reply to
Larry Jaques

We don't ...... and we object to the stereotype. However, I suspect the wanna-be Oirish will love it.

Reply to
Jimbo

Shane McGowan just isn't the same sober.

Reply to
Father Haskell

It just dawned on me why the name of your pub sounded familiar. It's a stretch, but the synapses, well, they do what they want sometimes, eh? The bell ringing was rung by the movie Airplane! In the movie the hero, played by Robert Hayes, had a drinking problem caused by a horrible incident he witnessed over Macho Grande. Hmmm...drinking problem...Grande. Yep, naming a place anything Grande should do well on the subliminal let's get toasted scale.

RicodJour