Thanks for all the help! -- some pics of my music stand

Ended up using the recommended jig to slice up the firewood -- also went with straight boiled linseed oil for the finish. You can see a little splotchiness on the cherry -- I'm hoping this will even out after another coat or two, and then some paste wax.

Here's some quick pix:

again. You guys are all great.

Reply to
mark

JMWEBER987

Very nice work! I love the contrast in the woods.

Reply to
RampRat

hey I like it!

Well done!

Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes

Charlie Self "Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power." Eric Hoffer

Reply to
Charlie Self

Thanks! The two other tips from here that I ended up using in this project -- the plane shaving used to plug a hair thin seam in one of the joints -- you can't even see it now. The other one was the "gluing the small piece to a larger piece with hot melt glue" trick in order to cut an angle on it on the TS.

On a different thread about hiding mistakes, this one would fit right in -- on the feet, I got done cutting them out of the firewood, and then realized that one of them had a saw kerf in the top from a previous attempt to cut on the bandsaw without the jig -- and I didn't have another piece to make another foot. So to "fix" it, I took a dovetail router bit and routed out the saw kerf. Then did the same to the other 3 legs, and cut 4 brazilian cherry triangular "plugs" and stuck them in the dovetail holes. Added a nice contrast element against the white maple, and fixed the boo boo.

Reply to
mark

Nice way to turn a whoopsie into a feature. Good thinking and nice work. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Very nice indeed. Nicely executed design.

sandman

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 05:02:08 GMT, "mark" calmly ranted:

Nice. Care to share the details with us? Joinery, adjustments, etc.

-- Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven. Gee, ain't religion GREAT?

Sin-free Website Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Makes me wish I could play an instrument. Great job!

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Not much to the joinery, really. The cherry "tube" is just 2 side pieces with a 1/8" saw kerf an 1/8 deep, and then two other pieces with a rabbet of the same size. This is glued together with a solid plug in the bottom 4". The inside slider is just two pieces of 1 3/8" cherry with a spacer top and bottom. The height adjustment bolt goes right thru the center of it. The fork at the back of the easel is cherry, and there's a circle of leather in there to act as a friction aid to prevent the thing from slipping all over. The feet are dovetailed into the base. The easel part itself is 1/2" stock -- the maple is from the wood pile, which is pretty cool - I've been saving pieces during "stacking season" for the last couple years, and finally got a thickness planer that allowed me to do something with it. The joints on the easel are just lap joints, which were a pain in the butt to keep square and tight during the glue up. I think if I did another one, I would glue each one seperately, instead of trying to do it all at once -- either that, or peg them. It would have made it much easier to clamp up and keep gap-free. That's why I needed that plane shaving. The small verticals are just friction fit into sockets that I drilled with a 1/4" forstner bit and chiseled out. They're not glued --just trapped between the top and bottom. It's a christmas gift for a friend, so I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. He's the lead singer for a band called The Badlees (had a hit or two in the 96-97 timeframe), and it's for his home studio.

Reply to
mark

Smarter than the average chair

nice idea!

Reply to
mindesign

Man, that's pretty!

Reply to
mindesign

I love clean design, Great job! The "splotchiness" is really minimal, do you have a sunroom you could set it in to expose it to light for a few days? Probably even everything out nicely.

Michael Baglio

Reply to
Michael Baglio

Thanks, michael -- I'll give that a shot.

Reply to
mark