Melamine

Hi all,

Got a bit of a problem that im hoping someone can help with . Im fitting a new sink and toilet in a small bathroom i have and it has a custom made cupboard.The worksurface had to come out with the sink so had to cut a new one from 18mm chipboard.Reason i couldnt buy a ready made work surface is that there are a number of angles cut (like half an octagon) which would leave the chipboard showing anyway.

My question is i need to cover the chipboard and dont want to get into cutting plastics with them shattering.I remember seeing the old sheets of melamine that were iron on a few years back but not nothing.Been to wickes,B&Q,homebase and the only thing that came close was the edging strips but no large pieces.Im going mad looking now so has anyone any idea either in the high street or online that still supplies this kind of thing?

Many thanks,

Jon

Reply to
Jonbhoy

I only remember seeing melamine sheets being stuck on with contact adhesive. It seems too thick for a heat-activated adhesive unlike the iron-on edging strips which are relatively thin. A search for iron on Melamine on Google only finds edging strips.

Reply to
Factor 13

=============================== Are you thinking of 'Fablon' - self adhesive or 'Formica' - needs contact adhesive? Try a quick 'google' for these two to see if they'll suit your purpose.

Cic.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 531 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Cicero

Sorry meant to say that the iron on stuff i had seen was edging.I have lots of contact adhesive ill use.

Jon

Reply to
Jonbhoy

Isnt fablon a fair bit weaker ? The melamine seems although its still pretty thin has a bit more stregth to it,and formica is more a thicker sheet ? This stuffs about 1mm thick.

Thanks,

Jon

Reply to
Jonbhoy

======================== Both were just suggestions because I don't remember having seen iron-on melamine in sheets wider than edging strip. Fablon is a fabric which I thought you might be remembering but it's not really suitable for long-term usage. Formica is about 1mm thick and very durable. The desk I'm sitting at was covered with Formica least 20 years ago and there's no sign of wear or separation of the covering.

Cic.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 531 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Cicero

Thanks Cic,i do lots of DIY stuff but this is the first furniture build and cover i have done apart from ready made packs.The stuff i mean is the stuff you see on the plain white shelving that places like B&Q have at thir more budget level.You can put it on and trim it up with a stanley knife.About 1mm thick like we said.It sounds like its me getting mixed up with my terminology! lol . But still havent found any places that sell it,even using google.Got plenty of links but all pretty much dead :-(

Thanks

Jon

Reply to
Jonbhoy

The plain white shelving in the DIY sheds is called Contiplas, which is white melamine faced chipboard. I have only ever seen narrow iron on edging strips for that, for making good the cut edges of Contiplas boards. I assume you are looking for wider sheets of this stuff in order to iron it on - I have never seen wider sheets of the iron on stuff, only narrow edging strips.

Reply to
Factor 13

Hi,no im not ironing it on i will be using a contact adhesive.The iron on bit comes from saying its the dging stuff i have seen in places which is iron on but yes i need a sheet .Nothing to big,really need it no bigger than

800mm x 450mm.

Thanks,

Jon

Reply to
Jonbhoy

I haven't seen anything that size in a DIY shed. A timber merchant might have something in the sheet materials section along the lines of sheet Melamine or a Formica-like material.

Reply to
Factor 13

or

Ask these people.

HTH

Reply to
Vodkajelly

First time posting on this NG and have to say a huge thanks to all for the help.I finally gave up and got a 28mm ready coated worktop which was £15 .Not to bad as i thought id end up spending that on petrol over the next few days looking for the stuff ;-)

Thanks again to all those who gave advice,ill be using this NG alot more.

Jon

Reply to
Jonbhoy