NEW ENGLAND PINE BLANKET CHEST

AND, you can use it for a baby bed, until the kid outgrows it. LOL

The title of this raises many questions. Do they mean it's New England style. Or it's new and England style. Maybe it was bought new IN England. Does it "have" to be made from just pine? And if so, is it restricted only to pine from New England? Or, because it's new, are they thinking pine from England? What about southern pine? Would it be a southern pine blanket chest then? Or, maybe a new southern pine blanket chest. I take it on faith they won't get your name and address from you looking at it, and track you down to see if you actually made one, and if you did was it actually used for just blankets, let alone the rest of the stuff. I just wish people would make themselves clear when they post.

JOAT EVERY THING THAT HAPPENS STAYS HAPPENED.

- Death

Reply to
J T

The style of "New England". It's the cross-over between a 14th century construction style (colonies are always a century or two behind fashion) and the availability of big wide boards. You can make these in the 17th century coastal colonies, but by the time settlement had moved West, techniques had moved on.

America seems to have skipped over the clamp-fronted chest design that was used in England. The first settlers made these pre-tudor 6 board chests because they're so simple, then the established cabinetmakers went straight to complex Jacobean styles with full framing. This took a long time in England because it was a technical development, but in America it was just a question of having the time (surfeit of turkey / shortage of bears) to make a style you'd learned as an apprentice back in the old country.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Bubba, you be quirky, but I like it.

jim

J T wrote:

Reply to
Jim Wheeler

It sure looks like Dunbar's blanket chest featured in FWW a while back.. :-)

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

Surely, its a "New England" Chest for storing your Pine Blankets. (And no, I'm not calling you Surely, JT)

Reply to
FMB