Dimensional question for Blanket Chest

I've found a design and plans for the chest I want to make. It's 47" long X

20" X 20". I have room for 37" long between the valets I made. Maybe without actually seeing the chest I want to make you can't say, but if I make it 37" long instead of 47" I'm wondering if it won't ruin the looks by not scaling back the heighth and width also. Not sure where else I can put the valets but that is an option, altho I would like to have the chest between them. Thanks again for any advice.
Reply to
Paul

Paul,

Actually 37" is a better fit for the Golden Ratio than 47" is.

If you take the length 37" and divide by 1.618 you get 22.87, call it

22-7/8" for the Golden Ratio which, according to theory is the ratio that "looks right".

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

Right. But 1.618 is NOT really the Golden Ratio, that is (sqrt(5)+1)/2 and a "very" irrational number.

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

To keep the proportions the same, with a 37" width, the height/depth would be about 15-3/4".

(37*20)/47 = 15.74

As per the other response, a 37" wide to 20" high chest would be closer to the golden ratio (1.618 rounded off):

47/20 = 2.35 37/20 = 1.85

At the end of the day, go with what looks best to you if you are making something for yourself. Otherwise go with what the buyer (client/swmbo/hwmbo) wants.

Reply to
Mo' Sawdust

You're right but 1.618 works for us laymen......;-)

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.