A Woodwork Notebook

Although my site has been up for several years, I have recently acquired a 'SurfStats' analyser. I notice that the majority of failed requests are listed under '/amgron/index.html'

I think this must be because some agencies - Woodworking Forums - peoples home pages offering links - and so on are using old URLs.

The index page posted on Clara Net's system terminates with htm. Clara Net automatically looks for index.htm so the URL posted at the foot of the page is the simplest and best to use.

I'm posting this in the hope that rec.woodwork readers who offer this link might wish to find time to make this change. Keeping tabs on website links must be a complex and tedious task, but it would be a pity if people were to be unnecessarily frustrated.

Jeff G, also doing his best to trace a few other link errors.

Reply to
POP_Server=pop.clara.net

Although my site has been up for several years, I have recently acquired a 'SurfStats' analyser and observe that the majority of failed requests are listed under '/amgron/index.html'

I think this must be because some agencies - Woodworking Forums - peoples home pages offering links - and so on - are using an old URL.

The index page posted on Clara Net's system terminates with htm. Clara Net automatically looks for index.htm so the URL posted at the foot of the page is the simplest and best to use.

I'm posting this in the hope that rec.woodwork readers who offer this link might wish to find time to make this change. Keeping tabs on website links must be a complex and tedious task, but it would be a pity if people were to be unnecessarily frustrated.

Jeff G, also doing his best to trace a few other link errors.

Reply to
POP_Server=pop.clara.net

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 11:32:28 -0000, "POP_Server=pop.clara.net" calmly ranted:

Jeff, your default link sends us to a referral page which is showing a typo "index.h tm". Why don't you just put the full URL

as the link in your sig file which would automatically preclude any further problems with future linking from your posts? Also, adding a dupe of index.htm named "index.html" to the server will help the old bad links.

--- - Sarcasm is just one more service we offer. -

Web Applications

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Mr. Gorman you have a wonderful offering of your website, I love it and study it and appreciate it.

But it will not always be there!

I really think you should have it made into a .PDF and available for download. Even charge £6 or so through Paypal (free translation of money types)... and offer revisions as you update the site. It is also possible to package-up the site as a whole, into a zip file.

What do you think of those ideas? Anyway, THANK YOU for the great website!

Reply to
AAvK