WOT - internal modem

I have installed an internal modem and miss the lights telling me what is happening. Have done some searching with no success for a utility that shows the lights on screen. Can anybody recommend a suitable utility? Thanks

Reply to
Phil Hansen

Can't help there, but does it at least have a way to make the sound audible to you, either through it's own speaker, or through your system's speakers? You can at least hear it while it's dialing and negotiating.

Also, maybe sourceforge.net would have something, lots of good open-source tools there. This seems like something someone else would have already been annoyed enough by to fix.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

There should be a volume control in the modem properties. That will allow you to hear what's going on. Rick

Reply to
RampRat

There used to be a 95 program called netmon but I don't know of anything newer. If you have XP you should be able to display the network connection in the task bar and watch the status...

Reply to
Knothead

Phil wrote: >I have installed an internal modem and miss the lights telling me what

Phil, do you mean when uploads or downloads are happening? If so, Zonealarm places a small "meter" on the taskbar with colored bars. Pretty good security, and free, too. Tom Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom

The simple solution may be to put a mirror behind your computer.

Reply to
Leon

There ya go, solves activity monitoring _and_ a big security concern. And it's free. But I know what he means, I did like having those LEDs to tell me at a glance what was going on.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I use one called DUNmon for dialup. Shows a running graph of xmit and receive.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I agree. What I miss the most was the light indicating a high speed connection. If it was out, you'd cancel the download and try again. I suppose there's software that can do that now, but the physical light was a quick easy indication of whether to continue or not.

Reply to
Upscale

Look here:

try to keep on track. This is a woodworking conference.

Reply to
Guess who

Heck, they want money there. Might try a look here also.

Reply to
Leon

I don;t know but when I was on dial up there was an icon on the lower corner of my screen by the clock that flashed when there was data passing to/from the web. If your using dialup networking provided by windows... I know that if your using something like netzero your out of luck unless you use something like zonealarm.

Reply to
Log

Ask the experts over at news.grc.com Probably the newsgroup grc.techtalk

HTH.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

I think modem is not Compatable with your motherboard.Iff problum is there replace with some {Standard Modem} SaeedCh

Reply to
SaeedCh

Thanks for the replies. The speaker volume is high but it is only useful when connecting. Had Zonealarm but somehow it screwed up my XP installation and had to reinstall XP. Wary of installing it again. Downloaded Dunmon. Works for me. Thanks

Reply to
Phil Hansen

You might want to ask this one in comp.dcom.modems.

Reply to
J. Clarke

hmm.. there used to be a program from Hayes, back in the old days, that duplicated the red & green lights or whatever, on your toolbar..

btw: what's a modem?? *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I don't want to discourage you.

But internal modems have screwed up on me again and again. Including a nasty habit of not turning off when I want them to.

I ended up shutting down every internal modem I ever had to go to a much more expensive external modem.

But these days, I use a cable modem. With its handy on and off switch on the front.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Some times Zone Alarm works with XP sometimes it does not. I had to uninstall Zone Alarm not simply not use it but uninstall it before a brand new Dell with XP Pro would connect to DSL. It worked fine on 98 DSL.

Reply to
Leon

and it's pretty set of lights!

between the cable modem and router, we have a mini light show..