OT Google buys AOL chunks

something mentioned about Google in a prior post,HANDY FARM DEVICES. Had something to do with google search. Wonder if this will make it worse.

Reply to
evodawg

OOOOOOOH! NOOOOO!!!!!!

Are you MAD man???? Hide yourself now before the wolves come to shred you!!!!

Tom in KY, RUN! RUN!!!RUUUUUUN!!!!!!

Reply to
squarei4dtoolguy

As long as they don't use any part of AOL then were still safe. If AOL does to google what they did to roadrunner then we might as well stop using google now.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

Well, in general if AOL has anything to do with it, it *won't* get better. Although, in fairness, they have done pretty well with Mozilla and FireFox. Most telling though is the quote, "Time Warner finally accepted when Google agreed to give AOL favored search treatment" Wonder what

*that* means to those of us who don't care where the information is, we want the most relevant information requested. +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Reply to
Mark & Juanita

What does AOL have to do with Mozilla and Firefox?

Reply to
Eugene Nine

My understanding was that AOL bought Netscape, the foundation of Mozilla and Firefox.

Mark & Juanita

Mozilla (and Firefox) is a complete bottom up rewrite. Netscape has now Mozilla as a foundation and not the other way around.

The mozilla foundation is a not-for-profit (501(c)3) founded by eff (and lotus 1-2-3) people, and apache server people. I think it started as a "skunk works" project inside the Netscape company.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

Means you get railroaded into Google pay-to-play subsearches. These guys tell where things came from, which can be a help.

George

Believe Mozilla with Netscapes approval was started by the OPEN SOURCE community and has been around for a long time. Linux and others had no really good Browser except for Konqueror. And they said that open source would never work. Thousands of Linux user contributed to its development. Now FireFox is the best browser available. FireFox has a built in search option, built right into the search window, I think this is the relationship they talk about between google and firefox. Firefox was also designed to beat up on WindBlow Explorer or whatever it's called these days. Explorer is and was so full of holes that something needed to be done and Mozilla was and is the answer. Anyone using Explorer today is a fool, it has not been updated or improved in years. Rich

Reply to
evodawg

Are you very young or just opinionated? Those of us who used open source programs in the past can tell you compatibility stories that would curl your toenails.

Which includes operating systems, BTW.

Reply to
George

I wouldn't call myself young, maybe young at heart. 50 is still young as far as I'm concerned. But what story did I tell? I've been using linux since

1995 and have never had a problem or never looked back. I'm sure you're still using Explorer too, right?
Reply to
evodawg

I'm just wondering why any company would buy a losing market share outfit. AOL has been going down hill for years. The other thing I don't understand, is why would anyone use this type of service, MSN, Yahoo, AOL and others?

Rich

Reply to
evodawg

I think you mis-understood my meaning. The Netscape people designed and wrote Mozilla. And most likely in doing so, took lessons learned from the original Netscape when designing Mozilla.

AOL bought Netscape in 1999 after MSoft made IE a free piece of software bundled into the Msoft OS:

It was spun off as a 501(c)3 foundation by AOL:

Mark & Juanita

Funny you mention this. Firefox is projected to scale up to approximately

20% of the market within a few years from its current 9%. As well, with its increased presence in the market, it will be certainly be targeted for an increased amount of attacks by hackers. And BTW, Explorer 7 is expected to hit the market somewhere near the end of 2006.
Reply to
Upscale

Never said it was the most widely used, just said it's the best available. Well, I do pity anyone using anything new from MicroCrap, but it's their choice. Think I've made my choice clear. That's all.

Reply to
evodawg

You've got to be kidding. There is NO O/S that you can use for 10 years without problems.

For instance, I'm using Slackware (and have off and on since version

0.9?) and with my latest installation I can't get CUPS to recognize my 3rd parallel port. Not a major "toss it" type problem, but a problem nonetheless.
Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Guess "problem" is a relative term. I should have said major problem, my mistake. Like you said never a problem where I wanted to toss the OS. In

1995 I tossed Windblows forever, I just got so frustrated with it and it was no longer a frustration I wanted to deal with anymore. I too use Slackware as one of my OS's and others I mess with.
Reply to
evodawg

Linux does fall behind in the driver category sometimes - not as much interest from equipment manufacturers themselves in making sure the drivers are there when the equipment ships. Have to wait instead for someone to sit and do a good job on the updates.

But as far as OS stability goes - we live in a different world from you Windows users. I had something stuck in a queue a few weeks ago that neither I or my system manager could seem to free up. This did not crash the system, only froze up my local printer. After staring for a while, we decided to do the MS fix - reboot. (This nearly caused the manager to weep). We noted that the machine's last reboot was over 18 months before.

Jim Kirby

Reply to
James T. Kirby

development.

Anyone who has said that they've been using Linux since '95 *and* they've never had a problem, can't be trusted. Perhaps you've never had a problem you weren't willing to work through, or that you considered big enough to spoil you on the operating system, but to state you've never had a problem in a Linux environment only says you've never fired the box up.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

$ uptime 12:13:31 up 8 days, 1:32, 1 user, load average: 0.23, 0.21, 0.32

Before that it was somewhere in the vicinity of 60 days

Reply to
evodawg