OT Google buys AOL chunks

I clarified my statement if you would have taken the time to read my reply you would have noticed that. Take a look at my uptime if you believe I never "fired the box up"

Geez, I started out explaining Mozilla FireFox and Google's relationship and now I've been accused of being a liar. Nice! Really makes you want to reply to a question? Just forget the whole thing.

Reply to
evodawg

That's nothing. I've got a server, busy little box, that's wrapped around the 497-day "uptime bug" twice and is nearly to a third time. It's busy but has nothing sensitive on it, and is behind enough firewalls that I don't care so much about it being way out of patch.

Info Security gets twitchy every time they scan it, though...

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I helped develop a SCADA system for an aluminum smelter. It ran on SCO Unix and about the only time it got rebooted was for O/S upgrades. But then the powers that be decided to add some Windoze workstations with some pretty graphics from a canned package. The workstations of course went down frequently. The end users didn't know the difference between the workstations and the host. As far as they were concerned, the "system" was buggy. Ah, well.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

As I indicated in a previous posting, the history of Netscape is:

1) Was essentially the original browser that started the whole web phenomenon. Prior to that you had internet search engines like archie, gopher, and others. Netscape was one of the successful .com companies. 2) When Bill Gates "discovered" the internet and the web and made Explorer a bundled free part of the MSoft empire, Netscape's business model was essentially doomed. At that point AOL bought Netscape:

AOL bought Netscape in 1999 after MSoft made IE a free piece of software bundled into the Msoft OS:

3) It was after this that AOL spun off Netscape as a separate entity It was spun off as a 501(c)3 foundation by AOL:

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough

Mark & Juanita

No, that was Mosaic... Netscape was a rewrite done by Marc Andreeson after leaving academia to form a company around the notion of the WWW.

MS got the mosaic code as well. Some people think Spyglass was a dummy company set up to sell the code to MS under conditions that would prevent MS having to pay the creators any royalties for the code (because that's what happened: royalties were tied to price per unit sale and MS bundled it with the OS and called it "free".)

It was the "bundled" part that got in the way, as Netscape was also offered for free... at first a nominal restriction to first-time tryers, and academic users.

And because of the early stage of development of the underlying protocols, browser/server and browser/markup compatibilities made a good match between browser and server an issue. Not to mention MS's determination to embrace and extinguish the new market.

Tie that to the restrictions MS placed on computer OEMs to limit bundling of Netscape with the computer (making it more expensive for them to buy Windows if they also were going to bundle Netscape) and Netscape thereafter had a much higher bar to overcome than IE: the user was required to download Netscape over what was usually a dialup connection, whereas IE was prominently displayed on the desktop.

Shitty.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

I don't think Firefox will ever have the underlying problems with security on Linux that IE has on windows, and if Firefox has a problem on windows it'll just as surely be through some brain-damage in the operating system hooks it uses to get access to the cpu/memory/hardware.

The DoD (and others... DHS for one) recommend against IE. And have for quite some time.

Firefox has many and sophisticated means, as well, to limit risk in phishing attacks, popups, etc. Best of all, I don't think I would feel comfortable at all without this after having used it awhile, is an extension (have you checked out Firefox's extensions? marvelous!) that allows you to selectively allow javascript depending on your trust of the sending server. An icon pops up at any site where it's disallowed (and it is by default) that you can click on to get a menu if you want to allow it from that site.

Firefox has been ahead of the game for quite awhile... and the extensions mean IE will always be playing catchup with a much slower development process.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

Correct. I used the original Mosaic before Netscape even existed :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I think most of us did if you wanted to use the internet at that time. What else existed? nada Wasn't that around 1988 or earlier?

Reply to
evodawg

used LYNX first

Mosaic was '93

Reply to
George Shouse

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Damn I was way off. Time is just going by to fast. 1994 Oct 13 - [T] Netscape WWW browser, developed by Marc Andreessen, I would have sworn on my whatever's life it was earlier than that.

Reply to
evodawg

Couldn't just re-run the init process? That is, take lpr / lpq down and back up?

Bill Long time Linux user.

Reply to
W Canaday

Dudes .... ;-)

Good to see other Linux users on a woodworking forum!

Ram in my server belched so I kissed off about 300 days. Previous reboot was due to a power failure (remember when the East coast grid tanked?). Also trashed about 300 days.

Currently typing this from my laptop.

Bill

Reply to
W Canaday

Actually the AOL server software is quite nice and is on a par with Apache for security and features.

Bill

Reply to
W Canaday

Because, like my Dad, they think these services ARE the internet. And Windows does nothing to convince them otherwise.

Bill

Reply to
W Canaday

ok...

17:22:00 up 81 days, 9:14, 14 users, load average: 0.14, 0.08, 0.02

huh, no knew (distro) kernel updates in awhile (hence the extended uptime)

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

AOL did buy netscape but the code for netscape was not used for Mozilla and Firefox.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

It can be targeted but that doesn't mean it will be as insecure as IE. Part of the problem with IE is its tight integration with the OS so a hole in IE is a hole in the OS as well for the most part.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

XP was the last straw for me. I was running NT4 and w2k for a long time, then bought myself a new lappy three years ago with XP. After about 6 months it wouldn't recognize half my USB devices and I mistyped a web site address and got a major spyware infection despite disabling java and active x in IE, running an a non Admin user, running AV and antispyware, etc. I popped in slackware 8 or 9 and shutdown to upgrade my drive to a 60g then installed slack10 and just a few months ago 10.1. I actually get bored now since it never breaks.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

a good job of crashing MS Internet explorer half the time.

Reply to
Eugene Nine