Google Posters

Anyone found a method of filtering these people out?
I am sick of seeing out-of-thread replies and searching for the main thread.
Just interested in DIY filtering techniques. :)
On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 14:04:10 GMT someone who may be EricP
Depends on your software.

An alternative is to press the next button if they have failed to do things properly. One tends not to miss a lot by doing so.
--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 15:42:27 +0100, David Hansen

Nah, they have got to go.

Quite
Here I kill all posts with: "Organization: http://groups.google.com " in the header, in my browser that's the regexp: /Organization: http:\/\/groups\.google\.com/h
Add a sig too, to let Google(rs) know.
--
Due to the very painful lack of quoting Google promotes, all Usenet
posts originating from Google users are now deleted unseen, this means

Cheers. That's the sort of thing I was after. :))

Eric
Shame that you can't do that in Agent then.
Richard Web pages: http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk/ - caravanning, http://www.rcole.org/ - personal web site and http://www.homeindorset.co.uk because I loves the domain name for email.
--
...well, that's all the extracts we have time for. Samantha is collecting the
tapes, and putting them away safely with all the other items to go into the

Who is "you"?
According to the help file in my copy of Agent:
========================================================== How to Create Message Filters
Usenet and email message filters consist of the following components:
*    A filter expression.
*    One of the available kill actions or watch actions.
*    A priority between 0 (lowest) and 1000 (highest). Filters are evaluated in priority order. If more than one filter matches a message, the highest priority filter's action is performed.
*    An optional expiration date, expressed in the number of days the filter should be kept. Agent automatically deletes expired filters. This helps you keep the number of filters from getting out of hand.
*    An enabled/disabled flag. This allows you to temporarily disable a filter without deleting it altogether. You can also use the Group Properties dialogs to temporarily disable all filters for selected groups.
========================================================== There is much more of it, including wildcards and the like.
--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 19:30:02 +0100, David Hansen

David
The 'you' was the person I was replying to, in this case EricP (the OP), whose headers show 'X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 3.3/32.846'.
There is no usenet filter in Agent that will allow him, me (or you running Agent 1.93) to filter on anything other than Subject or Author
See the ongoing discussions in alt.usenet.offline-reader.fort-agent.
Richard Web pages: http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk/ - caravanning, http://www.rcole.org/ - personal web site and http://www.homeindorset.co.uk because I loves the domain name for email.
--
...well, that's all the extracts we have time for. Samantha is collecting the
tapes, and putting them away safely with all the other items to go into the
EricP wrote:

For some people it's the only way of accessing newsgroups when not at your main PC. Properly used, it works OK.
Phil.
Phil wrote:

I agree with you Phil. Some people may not be able to access a genuine news server and so Google groups is the only method that they have. For some reason, some people get really anal about this. Maybe they should grow up and get angry about something of real importance.
Just because other people have a different way of doing something doesn't mean it's wrong or that they are somehow, a lower form of Internet species.
I often see endless tedious discussions about the heretical method of top posting. Personally, I find top posting makes reading a thread a lot easier. I navigate by clicking on a branch at a time of the expanded thread tree. Bottom posting means I have to keep on scrolling down to the bottom to read the next comment.
Do I complain? No.

If you cant set your newsreader to thread, you could add names as they crop up to your killfile. If you can do that. Lots of people use Google without problem, so a blanket ban would not seem the best choice.
The idea of someone who doesnt know how to get their newsreader to thread and doesnt know how to set a filter rule, yet strongly objects to people that dont know to quote context does seem ironc somehow.
Pretty much any system can be used or misused, the Google newsgroup portal. being no exception. Their sin is in making it so easy to misuse. A more constructive approach might be to add a sigline to your replies telling novices how to reply with context. But telling them to foad is perfectly legal too.
NT
On 6 Jun 2006 09:35:37 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

I know what you mean. Similar to people who normally post decent stuff and then appear and post something that has just dropped out of their arse. :))
On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 16:48:11 +0100 someone who may be Rob Horton

Only if people have failed to trim quoted material properly.
Personally I find that if someone has quoted more than a screenful of material then they almost always have nothing useful to say. The "next" button then becomes attractive.
--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

That is also my rule. Unless the response at least STARTS on the same page, the article is skipped.

Or get a good newsreader like Xnews, and click on the skip quoted text button.
Or you can map a hotkey to it if you like.
And filter out google "re:s"
mike

ITYM "Posting upside down and leaving reams of irrelevance trailing in the wake" ?

ITYM Some clueless and inconsiderate others leave reams of untrimmed irrelevance trailing in the wake?

I wanted to research the Windows Media Centre, so subscribed to the relevant group. Sadly I was unable to glean ANY useful information as it was impossible to work out the chronological order of things. This was purely because of the abundance of the upside down and untrimmed posting.
| |EricP wrote: |> Anyone found a method of filtering these people out? |> |> I am sick of seeing out-of-thread replies and searching for the main |> thread. |> |> Just interested in DIY filtering techniques. :) | |For some people it's the only way of accessing newsgroups when not at |your main PC. Properly used, it works OK.
I use Google Groups on very rare occasions, and have it set to quote properly. Failure to do that is just ignorance :-(
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk> Google Groups is IME the *worst*
On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 16:50:35 +0100, Dave Fawthrop wrote

Using Google Groups other than as a search engine (of sorts) is ignorance.
Andy Hall wrote:

Oh, that's nice ;-)
I don't have a choice [in my break times ;)] at work. So I just got used to it.
In any case, I usually only post about things I know about !
Cheers,
Paul.
Phil wrote:

Absolutely, it wasn't always the case, but it seems to be fine now IF you know how to use it, and primarily that means not using its default 'reply' as far as I can see (because that doesn't include context).
I usually access usenet at home via Thunderbird newsreader, but if I'm office-based away from home, on a public PC, then I'll often dive in via google groups and post away. When I look at my posts at home later, there's no distinction at all between those I posted via google and through Thunderbird.
David