Tim Daneluk

I've got too much time on my hands :-).

I just did a Google search on postings to this group by Tim in the last

12 months. There were 116. 5 or 6 were on woodworking topics based on the subject line.

Just to be fair, since I've been known to get drawn into these off topic discussions, I checked my own history. At least the first 128 Google showed me (it omitted 202 "similar" postings). Of the 128, better than

60 were on woodworking or responding to things like Toms stories, beer jokes, computer questions, etc..

So I'm on topic about 50% of the time. Tim's on topic about 5% of the time.

I wanted to make sure I wasn't being unfair in adding him to my killfile :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

If Tim's posts make you uncomfortable, there's no need to come up with a public justification. Just killfile him and move on. Why the need to call attention to yourself?

todd

Reply to
todd

Why would anyone care who you killfile . We [most of us] have the ability to make our own choices.

Reply to
mike hide

There is an old adage "Silence implies consent". That I daresay, is why Mr Blanchard and I contribute to off-topic threads, to prove that we do not consent to whatever it is that Pat Robertson has told them to post about this week.

Posting a 'plonk' announcement creates a UseNet record that the author's silence, in the future should not be considered indicative of consent.

Reply to
fredfighter

First, thank you for my very own thread.

Second, Good Manners dictates that you mark this sort of thing OT, or at the very least mark it a META thread since it is NOT about WWing.

Third, you might continue your deep statistical analysis by examining just how many OT threads I actually *start*. In my recollection, it is few. But I will not sit back and watch other people pitch bad ideas, dangerous to my future, hence I get involved in OT threads. But mostly, this is well after they are underway.

Fourth, I rarely start or add to On-Topic threads because I have little useful to say there. I am a rookie WWer, having only done it for about

8 years and anything I might add would be of little value beyond the expertise already found here.

Fifth, if this group gnerally practiced self-restraint and avoided OTs and/or limited them to very short exchanges, I would observe this without reservation. In fact, most NGs I read do exactly this and I observe the customs of the community. But you and your ilk cannot on the one hand jump in with all of the ideological gas passing the characterizes your posts and expect everyone else to observe a moment of silence in your honor. I've no idea what kind of human you are - perhaps we'd be friendly neighbors in the Real World - but by your testimony, I know your ideas are pernicious and dangerous to Liberty, hence you get counterargument from me and others. Lead by example, and I will be similarly still.

Fifth, I am gratified to know that I have gotten on your nerves enough that you feel the need to make the debate about my personal posting behavior. Squealing of this sort is almost always the evidence of the lack of coherent ideas and it's time to go after the speaker.

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

"First, thank you for my very own thread."

You are to be congratulated, although you will have to search for the initiation under a misspelled attribution.

"Second, Good Manners dictates that you mark this sort of thing OT, or at the very least mark it a META thread since it is NOT about WWing."

As you have not been particularly careful about this in your own posting history I would not blow this horn too loudly.

"Third, you might continue your deep statistical analysis by examining just how many OT threads I actually *start*. In my recollection, it is few. But I will not sit back and watch other people pitch bad ideas, dangerous to my future, hence I get involved in OT threads. But mostly, this is well after they are underway."

It would seem that you imply a distinction between the origination of an OT thread and the participation in an OT thread. There are some of us who would not embrace the distinction.

"Fourth, I rarely start or add to On-Topic threads because I have little useful to say there. I am a rookie WWer, having only done it for about

8 years and anything I might add would be of little value beyond the expertise already found here."

This is actually the funniest statement that I have found, so far. Google shows 148 postings by you to rec. woodworking, and as you claim that few of these have to do with actual woodworking, and therefore are OT, I am left to wonder at your persistance in expressing your views in a forum where you, admittedly, have no special knowledge.

"Fifth, if this group gnerally practiced self-restraint and avoided OTs

and/or limited them to very short exchanges, I would observe this without reservation. In fact, most NGs I read do exactly this and I observe the customs of the community. But you and your ilk cannot on the one hand jump in with all of the ideological gas passing the characterizes your posts and expect everyone else to observe a moment of silence in your honor. I've no idea what kind of human you are - perhaps we'd be friendly neighbors in the Real World - but by your testimony, I know your ideas are pernicious and dangerous to Liberty, hence you get counterargument from me and others. Lead by example, and I will be similarly still. "

Now, this is a very interesting expression of intent. Do you mean to say that on; alt.smokers.pipes, comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc, comp.lang.python, rec.photo.equipment.medium-format, fa.freebsd.stable, rec.photo.darkroom, comp.protocols.smb, rec.photo.equipment.large-format, rec.photo.equipment.large-format, comp.mail.sendmail, comp.lang.python.announce, gnu.emacs.bug, alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, comp.mail.sendmail, rec.photo.misc, mailing.freebsd.ports, muc.lists.freebsd.stable - all of which represent a subset of the newsgroups that you have been a participant in, you have found the level of restraint greater than here on rec.woodworking?

Would you care to have this proven to be false?

Is it really necessary?

Isn't the truth obvious?

Isn't it actually the case that you have made a Usenet career of inserting yourself into groups where you have nothing to contribute and only seek to call attention to yourself , without regard for the culture of the groups that you violate?

You are a Usenet junky, Daneliuk.

You are also a conflict junky.

And your song has grown tired unto our ears.

Mr. Blanchard ("What does the turtle stand on?") has made a reasonably polite inquiry; followed by a brace of fools who misunderstood his intent.

I am not one who uses killfiles, but, if I did, you would be one of the first in the bin.

Other than his misspelling of your name, for use in the blocking of your posts, I believe him to be right on target.

Good Day, Sir.

Reply to
entfillet

Entfillet wrote: snipsnip

I'll bet 90% of _all_ our problems result from this very thing. But Mr. Blanchard has too much time on his hands, which can lead to mischief. Internet mischief. The Googling of people! I suppose now we've all googled Mr Blanchard. I for one look back on a lot of my posts as an exercise in humiliation, at least that's my excuse for now. A thicker skin may help, but not as much when the intent is obscured. Or was his intent obscured at all? Tom

Reply to
tom

Bourbon. Crushed mint. Branch water. More ice than for most drinks.

Reply to
entfillet

Most anything neat, for me. But I have too much time on my hands(insert smiley-face here). Tom

Reply to
tom

Actually, could it be more likely that Daneliuk is the current nom de plume of a whitehouse staffer?

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I've come to a similar conclusion. I confess that I don't understand the almost pathological need to announce additions to one's kill file.

Bizarre.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Is that the current put-down that Mr Soros is telling you to use this month for any comments that don't fit into his worldview?

Mark & Juanita

Not bizarre at all. Seems like a perfectly human thing to do... for some humans. What better way for someone with twittish tendencies to get a petty little jolly on than to announce that they're going to ignore someone? It's not a very impressive display but it's certainly understandable... and done an awful lot on usenet by an awful lot of twittish people. So there is the answer... they do it because they are very human twits.

Now that I've pissed off a few people, let me piss off a few more. EVERY newsgroup has some off topic discussion. If you don't want to read it, then figure out how to work your newsreader so that you can ignore threads, or even ignore certain posters if you must. If you're a twit and suffering from a petty little jolly deficit, you can announce it to the world ;-)

And to piss off one or two more... I encourage Tim D. to post and comment to his his heart's content about whatever he wants. Personally I find his comments to be thoughtful and intelligent and I enjoy reading what he has to say.

Joe Barta

Reply to
Joe Barta

I don't recall any correspondence from any Mr Soros.

My guess is you mean George Soros:

fredfighter

"And to piss off one or two more... I encourage Tim D. to post and comment to his his heart's content about whatever he wants. Personally I find his comments to be thoughtful and intelligent and I enjoy reading what he has to say."

Oh, Good!

Mr. Barta from alt.politics, talk.politics.misc, alt.politics.kerry, alt.fan.rush-limbaugh, soc.culture.irish, alt.idiots, alt.smokers.cigars, alt.html, soc.college.financial-aid, alt.building.construction, alt.home.repair, etc., etc., etc. ... has graced us with his opinion, so carefully constructed, so closely held and studied.

Reply to
entfillet

My apologies, I didn't realize that George Soros was on a first-name basis with his sheeple. I'll keep that in mind in the future.

Mark & Juanita

Ok, Mr. Marlowe, here's the story... sometimes I'll reply to a message that has been crossposted to a bunch of assorted groups. I suppose I should be more vigilant about such things, but I'm not. It happens to everyone I suppose. I'll take credit for posting to woodworking, construction, html and cigars over the years... but if my replies ended up in various nefarious political groups, it was not intentional.

Joe Barta

P.S. alt.idiots? Gotta check that one out ;-)

Reply to
Joe Barta

I doubt it's very applicable to a USENET newsgroup, where dozens of topics are being discussed at a any particular time. Does this mean that I can go back in the rec.ww archives and if I find a thread you have not posted in I can assume you consent to the content?

I have no problem with people posting to off-topic threads. What I do have a problem with is hyprocrites. Here's another old adage: "And why do you look at the splinter in your brother's eye, and not notice the beam which is in your own eye?"

Riiiight. Good thing everyone keeps track of who has plonked whom, just so we can keep the score up to date. No one cares that someone has been plonked.

todd

Reply to
todd

The Standard Advice:

Ignore, filter, help others to do the same.

;-)

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I have a different take... I think it's a matter of a little something being better than all of nothing. I'm happy to see Google in China... getting the foot in the door so to speak. If I'm not mistaken, there will be a notice on the search results page stating that certain items have been blocked due to censorship. Google wants access to China's market and I think that was a fair compromise for now. Plus, most certainly some of that awful content like "democracy" and "freedom" will make it through... and I'd say that can only be good.

Joe Barta

Reply to
Joe Barta