OT: Fix for pesky cheapo aglets

I know "aiguillette" as a small needle, but would never had made the connection between that and a farking shoelace? :)

My bet is that without Google, there would be a lot more without a clue in that regard if they would only be honest enough to admit it.

Most of us, who have more important things to do, leave the discussion of shoelaces to little girls, shoe merchants, and ribbon clerks.

Live and learn ... and be honest enough to admit that you do.

Reply to
Swingman

Well, there you go ... Iowa is indeed way "Northern" to this coonass.

Which begs the question ... how on earth did it come up on the Carson show?

Reply to
Swingman

---------------------------------------------------- Since Carson was from Nebraska, where is the Iowa fit?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Swingman" wrote

Jonny liked words. One of the reasons that he loved George Carlin. Carlin had whole routines just based on words. Anyway, Johnny would often ask, did you know the word for....? And he did ask the question about the little thing on the end of the shoe lace. In fact, I remember he asked that question a number of times.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Well, I'm at fault in one respect. I made the mistake in not realizing that in your mind, the USA is the centre of the universe. Why would I think that "North" was *anywhere* outside of the USA?

What the hell was I thinking? Why would I even consider that the topics and users of this newgroup might span many, many countries?

Well, it won't happen again. When YOU are posting, unless you state otherwise, I will KNOW that you are talking about the USA and in particular, your own little section of the great USA.

Reply to
Dave

Again, Dave ... it is _provably_ you, and ONLY you, who (foolishly and without provacation) introduced nationality into this discussion ... live with it.

Reply to
Swingman

And why shouldn't I? I gave you my reason for doing so ~ a very valid reason as far as I'm concerned. Obviously, my reasons aren't valid as far as you're concerned. That's *you're* problem, not mine.

This *IS* a multinational newsgroup no matter how you preface it. Live with it.

Reply to
Dave

Which would definitely indicate that it is indeed NOT a commonly used, or well known, term.

I like words also, which is a reason why I remarked on it in the first place, but I don't know that I would have even snapped to it if the spelling wasn't so corrupted from the apparent French origin ...

Mercy Buckets ...

Reply to
Swingman

I that was the term for what happens 9mos after an A&M co-ed gets pregnant.

Reply to
-MIKE-

My initial thought also ... WTF does an aglet have to do with shoelaces??

You are a product of your environment. :)

Reply to
Swingman

I don't know how I knew the word... perhaps my short lived attempt to exercise my brain with crossword puzzles. An easy test to determine if someone is into crossword puzzles is if they know what and where "Ada" is. Being an Ohio native is a disqualifier. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

ROTHF No kidding. Parts of Texas are actually in the North!

Reply to
Leon

------------------------------------------------------- "North" is anything over the "Grapevine" on I-5 from LA.

It is about 4100 ft elevation so makes an easy line of demarcation.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

WTF is'a "ribbon clerk" LOL

Reply to
Leon

Once you start with assumptions, you gotta keep on justifying it with more.

Reply to
Swingman

An old poker playing term from my wasted youth ... derogatory, for someone who continually and only bets small amounts.

Reply to
Swingman

--------------------------------------------- Guess having actually been in Ada really disqualifies me.

And no, I don't do crosswords.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

-------------------------------------------------------- Texas is like that stuff you put on the sod.

Parts of it are everywhere.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yep. And you probably know how to pronounce Ashtabula. I live there the first 30 years of my live and I still can't spell Cuyahoga without looking it up. Pierogi is the real qualifier. If you even know what it is, can spell it, *and* have eaten them on occasion, you're a real Great Laker. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

His show was a wealth of info. That's where I learned the word "philtrum" (Tony Randall used it).

Reply to
dadiOH