OT: Fix for pesky cheapo aglets

Well, according to that font of unimpeachable knowledge/basis for all baseless assumptions like we've seen here today, Carson was born in Iowa, and moved to Nebraska when he was 8.

If it's on the Internet, it's gotta be true, right?

Bawn jyour ...

Reply to
Swingman

And here I was thinking maybe a person that adds foo foo stuff to accessorize women's dresses at the point of sale. :~O

Reply to
Leon

----------------------------------------------------------- Yep,have also sailed in and out of Ashtabula many times.

------------------------------------------------------- What part of Cleveland or should I say Cuyahoga County?

------------------------------------------------------------ Kraut, potato, various fruits, take your choice of fillings.

Lots of sour cream on top.

Could almost be sure they would be served on Friday.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

East suburbs... some in, most out of Cuyahoga. Geauga mostly, some time in Summit and Portage counties. I went to ten schools before graduating high school. :-)

Crap Lew, now you got me craving. There's only ONE real Jewish deli in all of Nashville and I don't think they've ever served them.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Is there a Polish place, they may have them as well.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Hmmm, learned two new words today, "misandry", picked it up on another group.

I should have known that one, considering some of the women I've been around.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

Well, I did know that one, simply because of its counterpart, "misogyny". Besides, there's an app for that. ;)

Actually, if you have an IOS device, and like words, "The Free Dictionary" by Farlex has an addictive, daily "Word Match" that pops up when its open and that has some doozies.

Reply to
Swingman

It's only regional in those areas where most know what it means. In areas where most do not know what it means, it is foreign.

Reply to
willshak

I was born in the US, New York in fact. There are American English words that I have never heard of in my 75 years of life. Aglet was not one of them. As I am an aficianado of crossword puzzles, I come across it quite often.

Reply to
willshak

Really? No kidding?

:)

Reply to
Swingman

Well, with at least one exception, I, who was born, web footed, in the swamps of South Louisiana, have now apparently joined an esteemed group. ;)

Congratulations.

IOW, further proof that it is, by virtue of being used in a puzzle (and reportedly and repeatedly so by none other than Johnny Carson himself), a bit more obscure than your average everyday term?

Reply to
Swingman

---------------------------------------------------------------- Pierogi are what is known as: Pollak soul food.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

--------------------------------------------------------- Don't feel like the Lone Ranger.

Here in SoCal, almost impossible to find real deli rye bread.

They are truly clueless when you ask for rye bread "with seeds".

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

But the heat-shrink is replaceable!

Reply to
scritch

Actually, the problem was caused by you and your inability to specify what northern area you were talking about.

You talked about something that was vague and expect everyone else to automatically know what you were referring too. You live in an amplified scale or arrogance.

Reply to
Dave

Yes it is, and in my experience it not only is replaceable but has to be replaced more often than the originals. Basically, I choose to spend the $2 for a better pair of laces that break before the aglet does.

It was a cool idea but I felt it was too much trouble to continue that cycle. YMMV

Reply to
Leon

The heat shrink snags a bit when pulling the lace back out of the eyelet during boot removal and eventually pulls off.

This works: Slide a short (1/2") length of heat shrink a few inches down the lace. Work some black silicone sealer into the last 3/4" of the lace fabric. Slide the heat shrink to cover the end and shrink it down. Let the silicone set up and trim the lace end to angle.

Eventually the heat shrink will come off, but now you have a flexible rubbery end that does not snag or fray and will last the life of the lace.

Reply to
Larry Kraus

I must be getting too old.

I had no idea what an aglet was... didn't care. Never spent a day thinking about one. What caught me about this thread was that Karl makes an off handed innocent reference/guess to a region by direction when trying to find out what an aglet actually is or does, and panties knot so tightly that the thread generates more activity than those dedicated to wood working.

I thought the original post was interesting and kind of fun, but I think now I don't want anything to do with aglets. It seems that it is a much hotter topic than I would have ever guessed it to be. Sadly, I am not well traveled and as a result I don't think too hard on regional references. I enjoy them. Around here, we laugh about our regional references, idioms and colloquialisms and get a kick out of something being "a Southern thing". A shortcoming on my part, no doubt. I will endeavor to be more watchful for regional or even area references in the future to make sure my Southerness isn't impugned.

And I looked up "aglet". Although I have been wearing shoes and boots now for several years, I have decided from reading all of this that I don't see what the fuss is about when talking about "the plastic deal on the end of the laces that keeps them from unraveling".

How does anyone get sensitive when talking about a fricking shoelace?

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

-------------------------------------------------- It's been a slow day in the news room.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Exactly, I live in the same city as Dave, and I knew what an aglet was, but I did not take any offense by Swingman's comments.

Reply to
FrozenNorth