OT: Black Friday

Scrooge? Who cares. Stupid, inappropriate, maybe.

This is supposed to be a Woodworking List, no?

I'll bet that there is an Economics 101 list or similar. Maybe a Glenn Beck / Fox News list where you might commune with like-minded individuals who have the interest and time for such diatribes.

The very act of typing "OT" in your subject line should clue you in to get out of this list and sign in to some political blog.

I read this thinking it had some relationship to the topic - maybe a comment on a new tool you found Friday (like that little device that turns an old 5G paint bucket into a small shop vac that HD offered).

And to the rest of you who replied to this post and, thus, drove it to the top of the "most active" list that is sent out each day, thanks a lot. Better you, too, should hold your water and ignore OT posts - or at least reply to the sender and not to the group.

Talk to you wife about shopping, talk to the TV, talk to the wall, but leave us out of it - please.

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

On 11/29/2009 11:04 AM Hoosierpopi spake thus:

List? Where do you get "list"? It's a newsgroup.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 21:58:39 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone scrawled the following:

Two points!

-- Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

ListServes were the predecessors of newsgroups. When you think about how a newsgroup works, the term "list" doesn't seem totally unfitting... Both have trolls and can be a valuable sources of information. There are plenty of details on both at wikipedia.com. --Bill

Reply to
Bill

This is why I kill-file all posts from Google groups.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

And if you believe those "plenty of details" then USENET predates Listserv by nearly two decades.

Reply to
J. Clarke

On 11/29/2009 6:57 PM Bill spake thus:

Sorry, I prefer to get my information from credible, reliable and fact-checked sources, not "encyclopedias" that any pimply-faced junior high school "admin" can edit and oversee.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

You mean like the US tariffs on Sugar?

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Sorry, usenet preceeded most, if not all, 'list servers' and 'bulletin board servers'.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I'm not sure; as not sugar producer I don't know if it also in these agreements; I'd have to look. Most direct interest to us is the feed grains and other beef/pork-related products (not necessarily the animals or meat but the ancillary products associated w/ production of same).

As a small-grains producer we certainly don't cotton to the stranglehold some southern states have on certain commodities in crafting farm legislation, sugar being only one... :)

I make no pretense there's complete consistency throughout the myriad legislative and regulatory rules regarding ag imports/exports :) but I would submit that is true in any area one would care to look at.

The question was raised by OP of what is the US able to export and ag products is one area was the answer. I simply pointed out that in aiding US balance of payments the current administration's delay in ratifying already negotiated (in bilateral talks) trade agreements isn't helping even though these are, in the overall scheme of things, quite small markets under discussion.

--

Reply to
dpb

Some of those markets would include lard and sugar. I would be surprised if there was any left over for export. (That's based on what I see waddling through the Michigan shopping malls these days.)

I keed!, I keed!!

Reply to
Robatoy

I don't mind standing corrected. I just just like to see the bickering.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Sugar tariffs are pushing the candy makes to Canada and Mexico. Seems silly to try and protect one faction while driving thousands of jobs out of the country.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ed Pawlowski wrote: ...

No argument from a wheat/milo grower, there...

If growin' cane in LA, perhaps my viewpoint might be different??? :)

Sugar, peanuts, tobacco are on the list of commodities w/ very powerful legislators and have been for over 50 years now. Not likely to change anytime soon, particularly when the current administration is so indifferent to agriculture in general and downright hostile it appears to production ag interests if what we hear is what is really intended.

--

Reply to
dpb

There may be an element of truth here, however the real damage to our economy has been the mindset that places "maximisation of shareholder value" above actually making the damn buggy whips.

Just like the promise of success lifting the drug dealer out of his mean streets -- remember him in that earlier example? -- everybody piled into the stock market, because it was going to make all of us rich.

Didn't happen that way, did it? I'm still working, at least for the rest of this week. Seems I've been semi-retired most of this decade...

Reply to
Steve

SORRY, I mean't to type I DON'T like to see the bickering.

Reply to
Bill

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 21:40:23 -0500, the infamous "Bill" scrawled the following:

Remember Spock's famous quote?

"Could you please continue your petty bickering? I find it most interesting."

-- Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Data on Next Generation said that. Spock may have said it also, but I doubt it.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

On 02 Dec 2009 06:12:31 GMT, the infamous Puckdropper scrawled the following:

Oops, I think you're right. He also said "If you prick me, do I not leak?"

STNG was my favorite of all the Treks.

-- Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

And while there's much to dislike, there is _no_ congress-critter seriously interested in the ag sector in the major farm states that will even consider reopening the '08 ag bill given what the current Congress would likely do...it'll be battle enough to fight off the worst of the effects of the additional mandates/initiatives already on the way. :(

If'en the Post thinks food prices are too high now, let 'em wait 'til the effects of C tax and the like hit fertilizer and fuel prices just for starters...

--

Reply to
dpb