Shopping Black Friday at Lowes

Got up early this morning. Wanted to go to Lowes to get do some Christmas shopping. I went in at 5:00a when they opened, not because I thought they would run out of stuff, but to beat the later crowd. There were about 20 other dummies like me waiting at the door.

Lowes had plenty of help, there were employees standing all over the place, saying good morning and asking if one needed help. One clerk helped me find items on my list. I get everything (about $200 worth in fairly small items) except a pliers, side cutter, long nose pliers, & 8" adjustable wrench, all in a bundle. The clerk told me they must be sold out. I said that you ran an ad yesterday, and the store has only been open 20 minutes, you can't be sold out. He said he didn't know. I made a comment that I knew I should have gone to Home Depot. That did it, he took me to the tool department where we picked up the items that should have been in the bundle. I'm certain they were much better tools. He charged me only the bundle price (about $5.00) for all the tools. I mentally totaled the price of the individual tools at $27. I was well pleased with my first ever experience getting out on Black Friday.

As a note, I had used the competition between Lowes and HD once before. I had gone to HD to buy an 8' Werner step ladder that was on sale. They were out of them. I made the comment that I should have gone to Lowes to begin with. He said they don't use the "L" word here and asked what he could do to make up for not having the ladder. I told him I would take a 10' step ladder at the sale price of the 8' ladder. He didn't hesitate to agree. I ended up with a 10' ladder which I also needed, for about half price. You may want to try that some time when Lowes or HD don't have something the advertise.

Bob-tx

Reply to
Bob-tx

I went down to the home despot to get a bundle of insulation. I got there a little after 1:00 PM and hadn't even thought about Black Friday. As far as I could tell, the store wasn't any busier than usual then.

-C-

Reply to
Country

The shoppers were all there at 7:00 a.m.

Reply to
HeyBub

hmmmm, could be why I always get ignored in Lowe's when I walk in wearing my old Tony Stewart Home Depot gear, lol

Reply to
leonard hofstadter

Both Lowes (scored a Bosch Multi-X and driver combo) and HD were really busy this morning at about 9:00, though I didn't see a whole lot of merchandise walking out of either one. Perhaps it was because they had so many registers open that it didn't look like the front end was busy.

Reply to
krw

I waited until about 11:00 am to pay my first visit to a new Lowe's store that was just down the street from an established HD. Not a big crowd there. I was tempted to buy the $29.99 Shop-Vac they had on display in a middle aisle. But then I remembered that Ace Hardware was advertising one for the same price, so I went over there. Turns out that Ace is selling a fancier model for the same price (after rebate). With Ace offering online rebate redemption, the likelihood of lost rebates is greatly reduced.

Reply to
Bob

You think that claiming they didn't receive your rebate claim is the only trick they have up their sleeve to avoid paying up? And don't you still have to mail in at least the UPC code cut out of the package? At least one rebate deal to which I succumbed insisted that the whole thickness of the carton had to be cut out -- couldn't just send in the top layer or two with the UPC printed on it!

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Another trick is to send the rebate check in an innocuous envelop with bulk-rate (now "Standard") postage. If you are used to discarding bulk mail without opening it...

Reply to
HeyBub

Funny, I've received *every* rebate I've submitted. That's only a few score, though, so not an exhaustive experiment. I only buy items I would have bought without the rebate, for the price (without rebate); I wouldn't be suicidal if I didn't get it. OTOH, I may decide on one product over another because of the rebate, but the purchase has to stand, otherwise, on its own.

Reply to
krw