black friday

any bargains to be had?
Sorry i don;t buy stuff in black not enogh colour contrast. :-)
Brian
--
----- -
On Wednesday, 23 November 2016 17:55:13 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:

But everything would co-ordinate and you'd look very stylish.
Owain

No he wouldn’t. You havent actually seen him, have you ?

and black is very thinning .....
On 23/11/2016 17:33, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

I'm offering a half days work for my half day rate.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

On 23/11/2016 18:08, David Lang wrote:

I'm going to watch TV for twice as long and only claim the same pension.
Bill
On 23/11/16 17:33, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

I want the whole stupid thing to die. It's an Americanism tied to Thanksgiving that makes fuck all sense here. It's effectively their version of the January Sales. Sort of.

Hear, hear.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 35th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3182
I don't have an attitude problem.
On 23/11/2016 17:33, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Well you can buy a HP pavilion 24xw monitor in Currys for £149, or you could pop over to the USA and buy the same monitor for $119.
So that's the worst £/$ fx rate ever.

Last year in Tesco
they had Laptops for 99 pounds and 50in TVs for 199
OK they were no-name brands but at that price what's to lose?
I didn't buy last year but this year I need both (well not necessary the 50in version) so I'm hoping for similar again
tim
On Thursday, 24 November 2016 11:36:42 UTC, tim... wrote:

99 or 199 quid.

Well I've already got a branded PC that cost 350 that because it doesn't like running W10 is a a pile of scrap
so next time I'll only be risking 99 pounds
tim
On Thursday, 24 November 2016 16:36:18 UTC, tim... wrote:

I've not risked a single pound :-)
On 24/11/16 16:36, tim... wrote:

Oooh. give it to me and I'll put Linux on it!

"Saki"

Linux isn't always the answer, but this time it may be!
Andy
On 24/11/16 11:37, tim... wrote:

Well. I decided I needed a laptop mainly so I could lie in bed an watch TV and read books and play games on it.
I paid 199 IIRC - a Tosh satellite.
The good news: It had bags of RAM (4GB I think) a TB of disk, a rather better than expected sound system wit speakers in TOP of the keyboard. Underneath, with a a duvet there, is not cleaver. It also runs Linux perfectly. The keyboard is not bad.
The bad news: a year later one of the plasticky USB sockets has fallen to pieces, and the LCD screen has the worst viewing angle and contrast of any LCD I have ever seen. I can JUST about watch a video if I have it a JUST the right angle...
So be warned. Build quality, sound quality, keyboard usability, screen quality - tehse are all things you need to check are adequate for YOUR intended usage.

Large TVs are getting alarmingly cheap. Mostly the pictures are very good. However again be warned. I grabbed a panasonic smart TV, and the picture quality was great. Sound was good. but the user interface is from hell. Designed by a teenager in all probability. It wouldn't stream Iplayer properly either, Or didn't. Yesterday I pointed it at the beeb and it suddenly seems to be working. That may be more about the beeb moving away from Flash to HTML 5, or maybe the set firmware has upgraded itself over the internet.
So once again, test and try before you buy.
Currys is actually these days a decent store to visit.

On Thursday, November 24, 2016 at 12:44:25 PM UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I also once bought a Tosh Satellite, for a lot more than that. First the touch screen stopped being touchy, then one hinge seized up which I fixed b y dismantling and silicone grease (seems to be an common problem). Since t hen the screws holding the base all come loose regularly because the chassi s flexes a lot. On the other hand it still goes like the clappers with Win 10 as a computer so worth keeping going.
On Thursday, 24 November 2016 11:36:42 UTC, tim... wrote:

How things change. I remember getting a laptop that was over a grand new. And desktop pc ditto.
If they still work somewhere they aren't worth a penny now.
NT
50in @ 199. Mid range Brands Had to read the box very carefully to find out if it had internet "catch up" capability. Both had WiFi ticked but only the smaller one said that it came with an internet browser. The larger one majored on using the WiFi to "pair" with your PC, but as my PC isn't capable of paring in that way such a feature is useless to me. If it did have catch up via an internal browser, the info on the box didn't say so.
Offers on small goods. That new smaller Dyson was also on an offer, but still cost about 300 pounds more than it is worth. I guess that it isn't selling well.
Paltry offers on Laptops (including at Pissy World)
Garmin dash cam for 80 quid- 50 quid off at Sainsbury's
Nothing else of interest (to me)
tim