O/T: An Extended Meaning

The word "Crisp" has many meanings that I associate with it.

Crisp bacon, crisp lettuce, crisp fall air, come to mind, but tonight "Crisp" was given a whole new meaning for me.

Two/Three feet of new snow in the mountains and declining temps over the weekend.

It was announced over night lows of 12F were forecast and described as being "Crisp".

"Crisp" being used to describe 12F weather is a whole nuther world, IMHO.

Oh well, guess that is an extended meaning.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

The local news are masters of creating something out of nothing. And there is nothing like the weather to get excited about. After all, it is located just outside of your window. Talk about a ready made news story!

And any kind of extreme weather?? They go nuts for those type of stories.

We have talked about it before on this newsgroup. Where ever you are in the country, some media types will be reporting the weather like it was some kind of nuclear holocaust soon.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Extra crispy????

--

Reply to
dpb

I remember being out at the end of run way. I was a below zero morning (rare in North Carolina piedmont). You could hear the F-4s cut the air. That to me is a crisp morning.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

When it is -20 F and you got outside and your nose sticks from one side to the other then it is "Crisp"

Crisp bacon, crisp lettuce, crisp fall air, come to mind, but tonight "Crisp" was given a whole new meaning for me.

Two/Three feet of new snow in the mountains and declining temps over the weekend.

It was announced over night lows of 12F were forecast and described as being "Crisp".

"Crisp" being used to describe 12F weather is a whole nuther world, IMHO.

Oh well, guess that is an extended meaning.

Lew

Reply to
Josepi

Like that new (when I last watched TV) program from The Weather Channel? "It Could Happen Tomorrow", showing all the things Algore had nightmares about, without any supporting evidence whatsoever. It's downright criminal of them to do.

-- Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills. -- Minna Thomas Antrim

Reply to
Larry Jaques

WE got some snow this morning. An inch or so. I fully expect the local news folks to go into total crisis mode and convince us of our impending doom.

I remember last year watching them "report" on the snow. There was a reporter out there in the falling snow. And he was trying to "catch" snow flakes. He wanted to show us the snow flakes. He was frustrated that the snow flakes melted before he could show us the snow flakes. Isn't that the kind of thing a 5 year old would do?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Down here (Alamaba), one of the local radio talk guys has "Live in Fear Doppler Radar" updates. Snow is rare (twice in two years) but bad weather isn't. Well, not so bad this year since global warming was canceled due to lack of interest.

He's a news reporter. Your point?

Reply to
krw

We call it crisp when the snow crunches as you walk on it :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

We just call that downright cold!!!!

Reply to
Roger

Blow it up into another Maine '98, eh?

Ayup, but the reporter wasn't that mature.

-- Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills. -- Minna Thomas Antrim

Reply to
Larry Jaques

And yet, nobody talks about the wind on Highway 3 in Nova Scotia...one evening, the wind blew the beams right off my headlights.

Reply to
Robatoy

You're right! Surely everyone knows that sort of temperature is more accurately described as 'brisk'?!

Reply to
David Paste

evening, the wind blew the beams right off my headlights.

Using those cheap headlights again, I see. The new ones just bend and snap right back.

Reply to
CW

There was a time I thought of 12F as crisp - around 1960. Now 45F is crisp.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

And yet, nobody talks about the wind on Highway 3 in Nova Scotia...one evening, the wind blew the beams right off my headlights.

I84 across Wyoming. Any time of year.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

----------------------------- Anything below 60F is not fit for human habitation.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Spoken like a true Californicator, Lew.

BTDT, got the t-shirt.

-- Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills. -- Minna Thomas Antrim

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Not new at all.

Hum "Good King Wenseslas" to yourself and think of the words.

Crisp bacon, crisp lettuce, crisp fall air, come to mind, but tonight "Crisp" was given a whole new meaning for me.

Two/Three feet of new snow in the mountains and declining temps over the weekend.

It was announced over night lows of 12F were forecast and described as being "Crisp".

"Crisp" being used to describe 12F weather is a whole nuther world, IMHO.

Oh well, guess that is an extended meaning.

Lew

Reply to
Josepi

"Larry Blanchard" wrote

I say it is when the hair in your nose freezes crunchy.

Reply to
Morgans