nail as a splitter

I have read posts by Bob G about using a nail in the TS insert for a splitter. I assume the nail is put in from below. Maybe a common nail. But, Google has not helped me find any details on this elegant approach.

Even the best-tuned TS has some vibration. I have this image of the nail at some point working itself loose and falling into the table as the blade is spinning. Question: Is there a good way to secure the nail in place? Or, is this scenario too far fetched?

Reply to
Igor

Igor wrote:>I have read posts by Bob G about using a nail in the TS insert for a

There's that little voice in the back of your mind, talking again.....It's saying "Not a good idea.". I'd find another way.

Reply to
Tomeshew

Go to the borg, get a small section of 1/8" thick piece of aluminum and shape it into a fish fin (follows contour of blade). Cut slot in rear of insert, insert aluminum fin with poly glue.

An 8d finish nail (.125") with the head cut off could be used also. Drill a

3/32 (.09375) pilot hole, use a dab of poly glue and tap it in. I've read several articles that use a nail but like several others, didn't like the thought of that nail ever becoming a projectile......

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

Will that bond to aluminum? I would have thought epoxy to be the adhesive of choice here.

Doug Miller

I am the original poster who uses a nail.... I sent 2 pictures To Igor... BUT honestly I will admit that the "idea; does not sound real good.... BUT I am not a weekend woodworker and the nail and splitter I use for 90 percent of my cuts have been in use now for at least 8 years and the nail has not moved

0.0000001 thousands of an inch...if that... and this is agter at least 5 years of almost daily use since I retoired...the 3 years before I retired the saw as only used 3-4 evenings a week...

What can I say... besides it works...and I sure am not afraid to use it...nothing more then a pressed in bearing in my opinion...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

Our local newspaper (Hartford Courant) has had many ads for Gorilla Glue in the past week. They are targeting all glue users, not just woodworkers. They say it bonds just about everything to everything.

I've not tried it yet though. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski